Thread: where to go when I graduate?

where to go when I graduate?

Hi, I am about to become a new grad RN, and am looking seriously about a position on either a medical or surgical floor nearby. However, my aspirations are for an OR nursing position. It is my understanding that I may want to work a year on the floor before I begin to specialize so that I can get a good grasp on floor nursing. My concern is that I will interview soon for the OR position (one just happened to open up, and I think that I was lucky to be asked), but I wonder if I should turn it down so I can get more experience. What do you think?

Re: where to go when I graduate?

Sorry for my stupidity... but what is 'floor nursing'??

Member Extraordinaire

I think experience on a general surgical floor would be good. The OR position (as a circulator) requires you learn to prep different cases in the OR you won't do as much assessment unless you are in the pre=op or PACU area. I always thing time on the floor is good before your specialize.

Thumbs up Re: where to go when I graduate?

Turn it down **** NO if its what you want go for it if they didn't think you could do it they wouldn't have asked you.If that's you'r aspiration go after it and be the best that you can be.

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by tigress_8207
    Turn it down **** NO if its what you want go for it if they didn't think you could do it they wouldn't have asked you.If that's you'r aspiration go after it and be the best that you can be.
    I don't think that is true sometimes they are looking for someone to fill a spot. I still think some general med/surg nursing is always good if you didn't have an extern position as a student. Having a few patients in clinicals in school is not the same as managing and assessing a full load of patients as well as working with surgeons who can be some of the best or worst people to be around. If it's being in the middle of a case is what you want you have to have further training to be first assist and need experience under you to do that. If that's what you want though sure go for it but it would be hard I think to go back the other way if you don't like the OR after you do it.

sorry.i'm a 1st yr student nurse.by the way, what is OR?