Thread: Legal help for Nurses facing the BRN

Legal help for Nurses facing the BRN

My husband and I are both RNs at the same hospital in Illinois. We recently moved from Califorina to be closer to family. Last June my husband was accussed of diverting narcs from the ER he worked in. Although true he was angery and quit. He then started working at the hospital where I work. Now 6 months later the BRN of Ill. contacted him RE:suspension. He informed me of this a few weeks ago. Although I had suspected perhaps he had used drugs several times in the past, questioned him, and belived his denials, I was shocked, angery and upset. I'm over that and now look towards his recovery. He's currently in a recovery program and is doing very well. So far our hospital has been working with him, letting him do chart reviews but of course no patient care.

But the BRN is so confusing, they never answer qusetions, return calls, give advise or is any help in anyway. Does anyone have any advise how to prepare to go a hearing, do we need a lawyer? I think we do since the BRN seems to be ignoring us, they don't seem to listen. He has been keeping records of calls conversations etc with the BRN. Has anyone had this type of experience. Is so please get back to us. What kind of a lawyer did you use, did it help or hinder??? Why differnt rules for RNs not in a employee progam.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Smile Re: Legal help for Nurses facing the BRN

I was looking on the illinnois Goverment to see what kind of peer review your state has. It's very confusing in California the BRN Page has a link for drug addicted nurses that allows you to self report to the diversion program.

It's unclear from your post if your husband is facing having his liscense revoked, susoended or be put on probation. It's also unclear if you are working under a California liscense w/ a reciprical agreement or if you are working with an illinois liscense.

Also the move from California sounds al lot like what we addicts and alcoholics call a geograpgic change to cure or addictions. Could it be that your husband felt he could escape the consequences in California if he just moved out of state. Been there done that by the way.

In any case you don't really need a lawyer if in fact he is addicted and has been caught diverting drugs because he really has no legal defense. In my experience Most lawyers won't defend this kind of case becaue they can't win it and those lawyers who say they can are just after your money which you are going to need in the months ahead if your husbands liscense is suspended. My advice is to find out if there is a diversion or peer assistance program in your state and contact them. They will set up a recovery program for him and make him stick to it. He will be off work for a while probably 6-9 mos if he stops using and gets treatment follows the recovery contract etc.

This is better that probation because with probation you have to have a DEA investigation which you pay for about 7-10 thousand dollars and criminal charges could be filed as a result. The fact of his addiction will become public record and he will have to present the results of the investigation to every job he interviews for for 3 to 7 years.

If one maintains sobriety most diversion programs end after 2-3 years and the record of his diversion and addiction is expunged from the BRNs records once the program in completed.

Which ever route you go I wish you luck! Remember the key to recovery is to open willing and honest. I have been in the California diversion program for 17 months now and have just a week over that being clean and sober, happy and free for the first time in 30 years. Life is beautiful today and I owe it all to MY HUSBAND turning me into the board. I hated him then but I love him so much for doing it now.

Peace and namaste

Hppygr8ful

Re: Legal help for Nurses facing the BRN

I would be very careful proceeding without an attorney. Having gone through the process of having a suspended license for other reasons. You do not know how this can affect all your licenses in all the States you hold. I wish that I had an attorney from the getgo.