Basically, I enrolled in January in the LTC in Louisiana. I was told that it was a 15 month course...boy was I EVER wrong.

We take entrance tests called the COMPASS exam if we have been out of school for more than 5 years. It is the equvalent of the ACT test.

I was placed, wrongfully, in the PRE-nursing program, which adds an entire semester to my LPN training.

After fighting this for almost a month now, I finally contacted the chancellor of the LTC system. She requested that I fax over my test scores and class schedule, which I did from my computer at home. Fifteen minutes later, I get a phone call. It's the chancellor.

Her first question was this: "WHY did they tell you they put you in the pre-nursing classes?" When I explained that I was told by the department head that I was told that I MUST take the classes in question (Allied Health Science, Medical Terminology, and Intro. to Computers), she said "Okay, um....so they told you that you HAD to take these classes before you can get into the nursing program?" When I told her yes, but that I had been questioning the administration about the flow-chart that CLEARLY shows that my exam scores were WELL above the limit for bypassing the pre-nursing classes, she told me that:

"CLEARLY...and I do mean CLEARLY...you should NOT be in ANY pre-nursing classes. Your scores are frankly off the charts...we NEED people like you in the nursing program. I wish you could have come to the Opelousas school...I'd have been delighted to have someone like you in our program over here."

I of course felt flattered, as I honestly did not think my scores would be what someone would consider "off the chart".

All this because I wrote an email complaining about having to waste a semester in pre-nursing classes, when I would just have to 'retake' them in the course of the LPN program itself. The Allied Health courses are designed specifically to increase student retention amongst those that were having problems passing the anatomy and physiology and Intro. to nursing. I explained that I did not feel that I should have to take these classes, as I am more than capable of studying to learn what I need to know...just like the class that entered in the fall.

She took my contact information, and said she would be in contact with me tomorrow morning to "see exactly what we can do for you in regards to getting you OUT of the pre-nursing program, and INTO the LPN program immediately".

I explained that the dept. head wanted to have a private meeting with me concerning my email, to which she replied "do not let them intimidate you. If you have ANY problems, call me on my cell phone...here is my number...."

While I feel as though the chancellor was a very nice lady, and that for some reason she has taken a personal interest in my specific case, I cannot help but still feel as though I have been cheated...out of money...and out of time.

I'll update when my meetings are finished tomorrow.