Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: to stay in nursing or not?

Re: to stay in nursing or not?

This is my first post, and i am sorry that it has to be on this topic.

Every department I have worked in, I loved it and hated it at the same time. Some times it was due to the abuse of patients and families, some times the stress of the job that makes me hate it. The biggest shame is no mater where you are there are nurses that eat other nurses. That can make a nurse hate a unit more than anything else. We complain about nursing shortage, then nurses treat other nurses like crap. Now you tell me, why is your unit short. I feel like I am lucky at this time. I work in an environment that is very supportive. Support comes from each other and the supervisors. Some times when we support each other it makes it easier to get past the abuse of patients and families. My unit has no nursing shortage. I am very blessed to be part of this group.

I have carefully read all of the posts on this topic. The degree of hurt and anger and sadness and disillusionment expressed is almost overwhelming. Compare these feelings to the innocence that we initially brought to our profession - so sad. I want to hold all the hurting nurses in my arms until you feel better.
    I recall how many times I drove home in tears after strugging against impossible odds to care for my patients. And, as a man, I never felt free to express these feelings so I held them in.
    As a nurse, I find myself morphing. It occurs to me that being a nurse is a way of seeing the world - much more than hurrying through hospital hallways. It is who I am and not a label that I owe to someone else. I've left clinical practice and am returning to school to add more layers to my nursing abilities and from there I'll rely on my own sense of inspiration to lead me.
    As nurses, I think we should remember that the values of caring and nurturing others have been devalued throughout our society. We experience one aspect of that. Many people experience this as a sense of loneliness and isolation. We can't remedy this on our own but perhaps we could take our frustrations less personally and give ourselves credit for caring and always doing our best. Nursing isn't what it is because we are inadequate providers.
    For those who remain in the profession, the job is yours to unite as nurses and find your own solutions.

Anonymous

"As nurses, I think we should remember that the values of caring and nurturing others have been devalued throughout our society" BY GOD man where did you get that from.

When a patient comes up to me and hugs me and says "You saved my life" I don't care one flying fig what society thinks of my "caring and nurturing"

Who is hurt and angry here?????

WR,,, three commas for Becca

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten how it goes.

Hi everyone!

I am currently in pre-nursing at a University in Indiana. I will soon be applying for the nursing program. My mother was an RN for over 32 yrs., and even though she was a great nurturing and loving nurse, as well as intelligent, she always told me to never get into that field because of all of the stress, and "problems". "Problems" meaning, shortage of nurses, downstaffing, too much nurse to patient ratio because of the shortage of nurses, being sent to different areas to work in the hospital, because they might have been short staffed in that area, etc. I guess, I wish I knew what kind of person you really need to be to go into nursing. I wish I knew if the pay was going to be enough for me for what I will have to put up with. If the reward of working with and helping people will be enough satisfaction to put up with the bull*&%$! Can you tell me these things, from your experiences?? Can you tell me what a typical week is like?? Is it hell, and people stay only because of the pay, or because they are helping people? Are the Dr.'s that bad? Do they really treat nurses like crap? All in all, with all the shortage of nurses that I always heard about from my mom, and even today, I truly do not understand why the nursing program is SOOOOOOOO hard and SOOOOOOO competitive. It seems like everyone wants to be a nurse, so WHY the shortage for so, so long, and still running? I have never been able to understand that. Hospital's complain of this, but so many nursing students graduate every year and apply, but what?? They don't hire that many??? It doesn't make sense?? I know I have a lot of questions, but I appreciate all the help you can give!! You never know, I may change my major?!

Member Extraordinaire

my opinion:
    Is nursing that bad...NO
    is the pay bad ...NO
    are the docs bad...not to me. But you have to stand up for yourself too if you are a doormat they will wipe their feet on you. If you take care of the patients and know what you are doing they respect that...there's only been one doc really bad and he was bad to everyone now he's not practicing and has several suits pending.
    Why the shortage??? aging population, more critical care, women go into other fields and the men are just coming to nursing, lack of nursing instructors. People go into nursing thinking easy money but you do have to work. Bill rates down for medicare/caid patients up for insurance or don't collect from "private" pay so hospitals don't want to pay.
    There are pros and cons in everyjob you have to decide what you want to do. I like my job. Even the bad days are better then the good days in the factory where production employees were treated like they were stupid. One thing I can't stand is someone acting like I'm stupid and it doesn't happen where I've been in my nursing career even days when I might feel like it.

I have struggled with this decision for over a year now. I am 8 weeks away from graduating with a BS in Nursing. This is a second degree for me...I already had another bachelors degree. I am about to start a 7 week senior practicum rotation in the OR. Obviously I am too close to the end to quit now but 6 mos to a year ago I seriously considered it. It was my husband that basically made me stay in...I had left a full time job and we both made sacrifices and he thought that I should at least have something to show for it. I was very depressed about my decision to return to school as I thought I had ruined our lives. Money is tight and we put off having a family. But, I met with my preceptor yesterday and she got me excited about OR nursing again. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Even if I don't do the traditional bedside nursing job, I guess there are plenty of other things I can do. I'm just looking forward to getting a paycheck again!

Re: Help No More Breast Cancer!

Leah,

This is the third time I've seen this exact same post. What does this have to do with the topic of nursing? Kindly don't spam the forums.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    LeahNTexas said:
    Dear Nurses,
    October 16, 2004

Greetings! My name is Leah L. Logan. I am a CNA in the Dallas, Texas area. I am writing you, because today after watching thousands of people walk for the Susan B. Coleman Breast Cancer fund, I cried!

I first cried because back in 1996, my mother, Linda L. Logan, at the age of 41 died from breast cancer.

Then I cried because of all of the people walking that wanted to help.

Then from shame, I cried because since my mother died, I have done nothing to honor her or give to the Susan B. Coleman Breast Cancer Foundation.

After 8 years since mom died, I have decided to do what ever I can to raise money for this program.

My goal is to raise $10,000 over next 12 months for the Susan B. Coleman Breast Cancer Foundation.

I have a plan in place, but I can’t do it alone. If any of you are willing to help me, please write to me with your name and phone number, and I will contact you soon. Please don’t be afraid to reach out. And please remember to do your own self-exams and get your mammograms!

Here is the address:

teamnewvision@yahoo.com

[/ QUOTE ]

LeahNTexas

Re: Lopez Does Not Care!

This is the second time I've seen you not care about issues that other nurses care about! Don't you care about people who are sick? Or are you just in it for the paycheck?

You are the top poster on this site, and most of your nice poems help people lauph. But maybe you should read some of them yourself because you seem a little up-tight!

Leah L. Logan
    If anyone cares about people who are dieing from breast cancer, You have been a caregiver of someone dieing or you know someone who has breast cancer, please contact me at

www.teamnewvision@yahoo.com. Thank You.

Re: Forums

Leah,

I really don't think it is asking too much for you to not post your notes indiscriminately without regard to the topic being discussed.

It really is rude to blast your message all over the forums. There aren't too many people around that have not been affected by breast cancer either personally or through a close family member or friend. Of course I care.

However, I take exception to you spamming your message where it doesn't belong.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

I agree with shortbus, stay in....it is a really neat profession. It really is. All that IV stuff will come when you graduate and your skills will get real good. I, in 24 years, have never been sorry I became a nurse, as is my wife. Go for it!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast