Thread: California Nurse Tax???!?!!!?

California Nurse Tax???!?!!!?

Nurses in California, both LVNs and RNs, have to pay a surcharge when they renew their licenses. This is a small fee, 5 bucks for LVNs, and 10 for RNs; however, it is simply a redistribution of wealth. This money is supposed to go to fund the program found here http://www.healthprofessions.ca.gov/.

While I support the goals of the program, I am more than a little miffed at this blatent redistribution of wealth. I, and all nurses in California, are being forced by state law to donate to a charity, one of which we may or may not support!

Two more things about this Nurse Tax:
    1. Not all the monies collected go to the fund, the lady that I spoke with today said that they only get a portion of that money, and the size of the portion that they recieve depends on the number of applications.

2. LVNs are paying to fund a program that currently does not exist; and will take months, if not longer to implement. This program was supposed to have been implemented in the early fall of 05.

Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? I mean if the state government felt it was so important to fund, why did they not levy a general tax, instead of this stealth tax against nurses?

Please share your thoughts...

Re: California Nurse Tax???!?!!!?

5 bucks for your registration renewal? :eek:

Come to Australia, 70 Bucks for RN2. A bit more for RN1 last time I checked.

Regards
    KJ

Re: California Nurse Tax???!?!!!?

Err..no boss, it the renewal is 100 USD the surcharge is in addition to, I guess I should have clarified that a bit more.