Thread: Assignments?

Assignments?

I've heard as a traveling nurse in many instances you'll get stuck with the heaviest assignment? or floated quite a bit? As I'm just getting into travelling I wanted to see what the consensus was among veteran travelers.

Re: Assignments?

Hi coachie
    Much has to do how the facility/unit treats the travelers (good or bad) re: assignments. I was in Baltimore over the summer and I got stuck w/ the stepdown type patients or rotated into the stepdown unit a lot even when it wasn't my turn to float (all staff/travelers suppose to float in turn into stepdown from PICU). Some places actually treat you as one of their own and give assignments that you are able to handle (like here in Charleston). The floating deals more w/ pt acuity and census. Unless you state it in your contract, travelers are usually the first to float. They are usually floated into units within their scope of practice, ie for me PICU being main unit, I'd float to NICU, peds floor, ped. cardiac, etc. I think I answered all your questions. If I forgot anything let me know.

These very issues are why I stopped doing agency work and went on staff in a union hospital.

I just wasn't comfortable with the expectations and the assignments I received...and yes, the assignment was always the worst; whatever patients the regular staff didn't want. Frequently without support or assistance either. Got old.

How you're treated and where they can use you are legitimate concerns.

I've worked agency for over 7 years in hospitals, nursing homes, subacute rehab facilties. It is luck of the draw in most places. Some are really difficult on agency nurses, some are happy to have a warm body to take up the slack.

Whatever you do, don't talk about how much money you make. Nurses tend to fixate on that issue especially and justify giving you a heavier assignment, or sending you to float because "you make more than" they do.

Go in, be personable and do your job the best you can. If you are faced with a no-win situation, don't think twice about leaving an assignment early. There are ton's of agencies out there, lots of facilities if one in particular doesn't agree with you.

Here's an article you may find useful:

Working As A Temp, How to make it a successful experience, by Jeanne Willard:"You've probably worked along side registry nurses in your unit and thought "I could do that." Maybe you decided it would be a great chance to expand your clinical knowledge, check out other hospitals, or perhaps you'd just like to whittle down that credit card balance. With the current nursing shortage, the idea of working as a temporary nurse can be an attractive option. If you are an experienced nurse with solid clinical skills you're in great demand. Most hospitals use registry staff to meet the demands of a fluctuating census and to manage labor costs. The rewards can include additional income, job comparison, a flexible schedule, and an opportunity to learn from your peers. If you're ready to make the leap, here are tips to make this experience a successful one."
    Working World Magazine
    3600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1526 Los Angeles, CA 90010
    Tel213)385-4781, Fax213)385-3782, WorkingNurse@WorkingWorld.com
    http://www.workingworld.com/magazine...cleno=260&wn=1

Hope that is helpful.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nurses' Views of The Nursing Profession
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

I have heard that traveling or registry nurses do get stuck with heavier assingments from time to time...why that is...i dont know and it's not fair...and some hospitals do have a policy that traveling or registry nurses float first so when you get into a contratct make sure you find out their policy or put it is as one of your conditions..if you are not happy with floating

Wink Re: Assignments?

On occasion, I have worked with Agency Nurses; here's my take. We're all there for the same reason, to take care of patients. We all have the opportunity, if we wish, to go into travel or agency nursing. I try to treat everyone the way I like to be treated. I do not tolerate lazy or sloppy nurses, nor those who polish a chair seat all through their shift. I work in a union hospital, and the agency nurses are the first to float. If they are mistreated, we try to not assign them again to the offending unit. BTW, agency nurses are not the only ones mistreated, all pulled staff are taken advantage of there. As for me, I welcome the help and try to work as a team; makes the night go faster and the patients get better care. 'Nuff said. Peace be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by coachie24
    I've heard as a traveling nurse in many instances you'll get stuck with the heaviest assignment? or floated quite a bit? As I'm just getting into travelling I wanted to see what the consensus was among veteran travelers.
    At the hospital I work at now we rarely have travelers. I can't see the common sense in giving the traveler the heaviest assignment. In my experience giving the person with the least amount of experience ultimately creates more work for the other nurses. I am not envious of a traveler's salary. If I wanted to travel I would have done so by now. We all have to remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side. People who are rude and arrogant to travelers by giving them an unfair work assignment just because the traveler gets paid more money needs are acting juvenile. More than likely they also act this way at home in their personal life as well