Thread: Funding for Nursing programs

Funding for Nursing programs

This is my question for the day! We as Americans can spend all this money for moon explorations, but we have no funds for more nursing programs to handle the huge surge of students wanting to get in the program.
    This proves there is a huge problem regarding direction of funds. Should we thank Arnold in California for this?

Please send your comments. I am willing to apply even for an LVN program now, but all calif. schools are impacted at this point. Its pretty discouraging when you have all your pre-schooling completed and you still can't get in.

Help-need your in-put.

NurseDeb52

Re: Funding for Nursing programs

I don't think you can lay all this on Arnold's shoulders. The problem has been in the making for decades. It is not just a California issue, it is a world-wide issue. Even if there was an unlimited supply of funds available, you'd still need nursing faculty members who are in even shorter supply than nurses.

You don't hear much about the shortage of faculty. However, It is a critical bottleneck to the process.

No instructors, no new nurses, no relief for those working mandatory OT in shortstaffed conditions.

About 35,000 qualified BSN students were turned away last year due to a lack of slots.

I'd apply to as many programs as feasible and keep tabs on waiting lists. If an LVN program will get your foot in the door, so be it. Working in a hospital as a nursing assistant or unit secretary may help as well.

Just my view. .

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views