Thread: LPN and healthcare teams

LPN and healthcare teams

I work at a hospital as a CNA. The hospital went to entirely RN staff with CNA's for supportive role. The LPN's were given one year to get their RN degree before they lost their positions. Currently they are working in the CNA role. I personally feel that LPN's are an important part of the nursing team. My question is, if LPN's are part of nursing teams nationwide or if there is a nationwide cutback? I would be curious to know how other hospitals arrange nursing teams to provide patient care?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: LPN and healthcare teams

Quote Originally Posted by sharonm
    I work at a hospital as a CNA. The hospital went to entirely RN staff with CNA's for supportive role. The LPN's were given one year to get their RN degree before they lost their positions. Currently they are working in the CNA role. I personally feel that LPN's are an important part of the nursing team. My question is, if LPN's are part of nursing teams nationwide or if there is a nationwide cutback? I would be curious to know how other hospitals arrange nursing teams to provide patient care?
    Every hospital and state is different with LPN qualifications and nurse practice act. In the state I work we have just gone to every year liscense renewal because we were doing everyother year with LPN's on the other year but the budget got too tight with lack of LPNs..at my hospital LPN's function as medication nurses for the most part they can do assessments with a RN being in charge. LPNs can't be in charge or work independently there must always be a RN on the floor