Thread: I need information-please!

Anonymous

I need information-please!

I am attending college at ASU in Newport, Arkansas. I have to write a paper on the career that I am most interested in which is a LPN. I need to know what exactly are the job duties of being an LPN? I am currently working as a CNA and I know somewhat what they do like pass meds and do dressings but I don't know much of anything else. Could you please help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it. Please email me back to lyn_128@hotmail.com asap. Thankyou

Anonymous

Re: I need information-please!

The tasks that are delegated to an LPN vary from working in a clinic versus working in a hospital. The LPN role is more functional in a clinic setting because of the various tasks they can do. The tasks they CANNOT do are more of a problem whenever you are talking about working in a hospital. At Arkansas Children's Hospital an LPN cannot; start IVs (unless they are on the IV team and have passed certification), cannot access any sort of central venous access device, cannot administer chemotherapy, cannot initiate a plan of care, cannot draw blood other than a finger/heel stick. There are also AR State Board of Nursing restrictions that apply. These state that an LPN cannot assess a patient. They can gather data, but not assess. Hope this helps you some. You might want to contact the AR State Board of Nursing and they may be able to give you more information. Good Luck!

Anonymous

Re: I need information-please!

In PA you (an LPN)can do everything that an RN can EXCEPT
    hang blood
    take a telephone order
    administer chemotherapy
    anything to to w/ a Central Venous Catheters

the RN is suppossed to do the admission assessment. the lpn can make assesssments after that.