Thread: Suspended - move to another state?

Suspended - move to another state?

I've been under diciplinary action for the past 4 years. Just lost my job for drinking. Now PA wants to suspend my license again for 5 years. I have my license in 3 other states. What kind of problem would it be for me to work in another state? I finished rehab and can get help in any state. I'm tired of the constant punishment from PA nursing board. Can I just move?

Re: Suspended - move to another state?

You have to make sure it's not a compact state. If it is,your origional licensing state has a direct link to another state if it is on the list.
    You can find out by going to the other state's bon website

cat

Smile Re: Suspended - move to another state?

Without giving away your identity, I would try to find out from any of the involved Boards what their take on this is. For what it is worth, a few big newspaper stories (LA Times) have run recently where there has been mention of "questionable" (for want of a better word) nurses getting in trouble in one state with their license, coming to CA and easily getting a CA license, and working until their behavior again goes down the drain. Basically, it is still supposed to be easier for nurses to get away with moving around the country, than for doctors to move around the country doing the same thing. I can see where you are coming from. But I wouldn't want to pull up stakes, move, then get caught up with license problems in the new state. Maybe a call to an attorney who deals with the PA Board? Good luck with the whole thing. I hope you manage to get yourself together, both for yourself and for your livelihood.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xyster777 View Post
    I've been under diciplinary action for the past 4 years. Just lost my job for drinking. Now PA wants to suspend my license again for 5 years. I have my license in 3 other states. What kind of problem would it be for me to work in another state? I finished rehab and can get help in any state. I'm tired of the constant punishment from PA nursing board. Can I just move?
    First things first - Are you currently actively drinking. If so you have not finished rehab - you need more rehab. You need to be sober and thinking clearly before you start doing geographical recovery. It doesn't work because your addiction will follow you whereever you go and sooner or later you'll get caught again.

Now if you are not drinking finished with rehab and working the steps you may beable to move to another state and enter thier program for impaired nurses though they usually require that your case be in good standing with the state you are coming from. The BON's do communicate with eachother so I would really reccomend concentrating on your recovery. You may need to spend some time in sober living situation. My sister runs such a place and there is a nurse there and they give her a ride to and from work the rest of the time she's at the facility and going to AA etc... You may want to look for something like that.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Quote Originally Posted by Xyster777 View Post

To be blunt here, your recent decision to drink and go to work are serious concerns and I doubt that there are other states that would consider licensing you, and it is probable that the states you are licensed in will either suspend you, or will maybe agree to monitor you...

I am sorry for your problems and understand how confining it is to be monitored, but is it really the BON's fault that you failed to maintain sobriety?

It is impossible to predict what will happen with your other licneses, and depends on many factors, including which state is your "home " state, if the other states know about your other licenses, if they are included in the compact state deal, and also when renewal comes around having to answer questions about discipline elsewhwere.

In addition, once PA suspends your license, you will be placed on the OIG exclusion list which will impact your employment nationwide, and prevents enployment involving medicare pts.

I would suggest hiring a PA lawyer in attempt to prevent license suspension as your priority.

Please keep us posted...