Thread: How does Nursing rank in comparison to other majors in difficulty?

How does Nursing rank in comparison to other majors in difficulty?

I was wondering when u tell someone, "Im a nursing major" Do they give u a weird look and tell u, oh thats easy, or like, oh thats difficult. Do u think that nursing is one of the most difficult majors at ur school? Is nursing at the level of being in medical school, or like pre-med? I know all the things we deal with from reading all the threads like.. "oh my life is over" .. "how am i gonna ever pass." When i think of other majors, psychology, business, philosophy, and education, i dont think they have it that hard. Does nursing have that prestige like saying, oh im gonna be a doctor, and we all go, "wow, thats real difficult". Do people go, oh a nurse, wow thats difficult compared to other majors.

Re: How does Nursing rank in comparison to other majors in difficulty?

I think every major is hard in their own way. Typically the reaction i've gotten is "oh, God, i couldn't do that..." But then again somedays, especially when some doc puts their pager in their scrub shirt pocket, then tucks their shirt in their pants, and i have to dig for it, i'm thinking to myself "i STILL continue to go to school for this..."
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]

Post Re: How does Nursing rank in comparison to other majors in difficulty?

Quote Originally Posted by Marie_LPN View Post
    I think every major is hard in their own way. Typically the reaction i've gotten is "oh, God, i couldn't do that..." But then again somedays, especially when some doc puts their pager in their scrub shirt pocket, then tucks their shirt in their pants, and i have to dig for it, i'm thinking to myself "i STILL continue to go to school for this..."
    Marie_LPN; I'd make sure the surgeon gives me the pager before scrubbing-in. BTW, are you still in BSN program?

sandramathews; The prereqs for my ADN [A&P, Microbiology, etc.] were no push-overs. In my RN-BSN program that Nursing Research course I was thankful to get a "B". BTW, I've heard most CRNA schools will make or break you. I'm sure NP programs are challenging in their own way, too. Back in the day, whatever that means, nursing did not have the credibilty it has now regards to academics. Bottom line, most pursuits in life worth the effort have many bumps in the road.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Re: How does Nursing rank in comparison to other majors in difficulty?

Yep in BSN, slowly but surely.

They aren't as bad about it now as they used to be. My arguement now is that if i get down i can't get back up, not to mention the guilt trip for making the pregnant nurse get the pager.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][U][B]Marie[/B][/U], RN in O.R, pursuing BSN, semester [U]?[/U] of [U]?[/U]:)[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Supposedly 8 out of 10 people suffer from hemorrhoids. Does that mean that the other 2 people [I]enjoy[/I] them???:confused:[/B][/FONT]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/B]
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My little peapod has arrived :).[/FONT][/B]