Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night shift and sleep? Do you get any?

Question Night shift and sleep? Do you get any?

I know as a new graduate you usually start out with the night shift, I have never worked at night and would love any suggestions. How do you stay alert? Do you sleep the whole day before your first shift for the week? I already have a dark bedroom but are there any other tricks to getting your body used to sleeping in the day?

Re: Night shift and sleep? Do you get any?

Sleep during day
    -ear plugs
    -fan (white noise)
    -sleep aid (benadryl, don't use it every time though)
    -eye shield
    -TURN YOUR PHONE RINGER OFF
    -stay up as long as you can the night before your first shift; go to bed when you begin to get sleepy, wake up around 9 or 10 and run some errands if you have any, then head for a nap between 2-3 and sleep until 4:30 or 5 or whenever you need to get up to get ready for work (may want to eat a meal at this time too)
    -DON'T EAT OR DRINK PRIOR TO LAYING DOWN..KEEPS YOU FROM HAVING TO GO TO THE BATHROOM

Stay awake on night shift
    -eat throughout your shift (My lunch box is usually packed to bursting w/ small snacks to munch on, just slip it in your uniform pocket or if you're allowed food nearby)
    -caffeinated beverage, but cut off intake about 4:30 to 5 am, otherwise you'd have trouble getting to bed in the morning

PM me and I can tell you more; thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I work night shift for almost 5 years (w/ occ. day shifts) and these things I found have worked. Because I've been doing it for so long, I've had to find new ways to get to sleep though and stay asleep. The staying awake part isn't too difficult if you work in an ICU setting. Sometimes if you have a busy assignment, you'd be to occupied to even think of staying awake..but you may hit a slump after 4 am. If you can grab a 10 or 15 minute power nap (with charge nurse approval first and you patient(s) are adequately covered). Some hospitals give nurses a 30 rest break in addition to the meal break, or you can use your meal break to grab a nap...it's your break time and you use that time however you like.

Hope some of these tips help...they don't work for everyone..like I said these are things I've done..you may find something that work better for you...lot of it is trying different things out.

Good luck and have fun working nights

I've worked nights for 10 years. I tried what most other night nurses were doing in terms of sleep when I first started. Most everyone I knew would go home, go right to bed, sleep a few hours, get up and then try and "nap" for a couple of hours before going back. It didn't work for me. I got into the habit of staying up until around 11AM and then going to bed until 6PM or so. I have taken Trazodone for sleep when needed. I also shut off the ringer on the phone. I sleep in a dark room. White noise is also helpful since there is always noise of traffic or whatever outside that interferes with sleep. It took some getting used to, but it has worked over the years. If I'm tired at work, I generally get up and do things like stock syringes or whatever; anything to avoid sitting at the desk during those slow periods, especially between 3 and 5AM. The worst time! It isn't for everybody, though. If after six months you are not somewhat accustomed to the sleep thing, you might think about evenings as an alternative. I've known some people who just never could get used to nights. Good luck.

depending on if you a girl a boy there are some issues with working at night.. there has been research done that has shown that women who work nights are more prone to breast cancer, because when you stay up all night you deplete your system of melatonin ( which is normally secreted while you sleep ) .. so in order to reduce my risk and to help me sleep ( since i work nights ) i take a melatonin tablet in the am wheni get home from work to replenish my body and it helps my eyelids become heavy ... just a suggestions.. you can find it at whole foods, or wild oats .. or some health food store.. it comes in different micrograms 3 is the most i think.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will be trying them all!

Wink Re: Night shift and sleep? Do you get any?

****o,
    I am a student nurse and will graduate in May, however, I work for a home health and hospice company and have done extensive night shifts before. I brings several activities with me so I don't just sit or get bored. Get up and walk around, have ice water, origami, etc. Everyone usually has a 'dead hour' where they just struggle. Find your and do proactive measures to help you at that time like drinking coffee or pop, getting up, reviewing charts, etc. Something to occupy you. During the day it can be hard to sleep. I usually sleep 4-5 hours and feel fine, plus the more you get used to it the easier it is. Make sure you find a good time for you to eat. Some nurses might have a snack and keep on a 'regular' eating schedule while others find it easier to have a 'lunch' like you would on a day shift. I hope this helped.
    S

I worked night shift one summer when my daughter was born. It didn't work for me. I was miserable at work, miserable at home.

Was a surprise since I'm habitually a night owl and do my best work after 8pm. With the nursing shortage that's here, you'll probably have a fair shot working 3-11 as well.

Don't change your body's time clock unless you absolutely have to. Being a new graduate nurse is tough enough without throwing sleep deprivation into the mix. It's not worth sacrificing your health either.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    Nurses Views of The Nursing Profession
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I love the 3-11 shift, and have done 'a few' 11-7's. Unfortunately, I am now working days (or is that 'daze'?). I agree with some of the other suggestions offered on how to get rest.

did a lot of 16 hour shifts, 3-11, 11-7 and then driving about 45 minutes home...by the time I got home I was SOOOO TIRED, but after a shower my kids are getting up and after getting them ready and getting into bed, I always had a really hard time getting to sleep.

I would always think, "I'm going straight to bed as soon as I get home" but when I got there I was always wired so I'd help getting the girls around and then I'd still be awake. I'd get on the computer for "a few minutes" and the next thing you know, it's 10:30. Then all of a sudden, I'm tired as heck and I'd sleep until 5pm.

No more of that crap...they called me Friday. I said, I now live an hour and a half farther away, and today is my birthday, and I'm not filling in for anyone, I don't care. Call me when you can give me a couple of days notice and I might consider it...but I won't. I'm done with that craziness.

I was working 2-10 and sleeping there, then 10-2,2-10 and sleeping there, then 10-2 and 2-10 again and then driving home. GREAT MONEY...but after that, the next 2-3 days are just shot!

Quote Originally Posted by hammerz
    I know as a new graduate you usually start out with the night shift, I have never worked at night and would love any suggestions. How do you stay alert? Do you sleep the whole day before your first shift for the week? I already have a dark bedroom but are there any other tricks to getting your body used to sleeping in the day?
    Night shift for me, which I did for about nine months only worked if I kept a routine sleeping pattern. Same time and also getting the needed rest that your body deserves - 7 to 8 hours.

As I woke up, I always had my breakfast, while others had dinner. Some people I know drank tons of coffee, which isn't good. Others I know have erratic sleeping problems from sleeping in the morning, than switching off to later in the evening, cause they don't keep with their regular balance of sleeping at the same time everyday.

Good luck, and keep healthy, eat good, get enough rest and keep the same routine as you would during a day shift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast