Thread: Associates Or Bachelors Degree for RN?

Smile Associates Or Bachelors Degree for RN?

Hi All

I am new to this site and I was thinking about going back to school for Nursing. I see there is a Associates and Bachelors Degree Program, do you know if it varies in job duty or $$?

Thanks

Re: Associates Or Bachelors Degree for RN?

****oo..
    there is no pay difference for either one. The difference is whether or not you want to pursue your masters or go into administration. I personally would choose the BSN over the AN. But, if you have no intentions of moving up the ladder and getting a masters or becoming, say an N.P., then an AN will work. You can always go back and get your BSN which is usually an additional year at an accredited university.
    Hope that helps..
    ~Kat

The BSN degree is being widely adopted as the entry point for registered nursing and some states such as California, and some Federal agencies such as the Dept of Veteran's Affairs are going to require new hires to have the BSN degree, so it's something to consider for the long term outlook of your career prospects & job options.

Right now an Associate Degree RN can get hired almost everywhere except the VA, or get a commission as a nurse in any branch of the service. You could get an Associate degree and start work as an RN and then use your employer's educational benefits to pursue your BSN degree online while you're earning a good income as an RN.

Something to think about

Smile Re: Associates Or Bachelors Degree for RN?

Thanks for the info!

I recently wrote an article about why I changed my mind recently & now believe that the BSN really does need to be the entry point for nursing.... and why RN's should look towards getting their BSN ... check it out & let us know your thoughts please.... agree? Disagree? Why?

http://medi-smart.com/rntobsn.htm

Sara

Some hospitals pay a small differential if you have a BSN but it is not much. Regarding the job requirements they are the same for both degrees. I would go for a BSN if time and money allowed, but this is your decision.

The idea of the BSN being the degree if you want to continue your education is one I've heard a lot. But if you want to find out more about both degrees, these articles would be very helpful:

http://www.nursingprograms.com/rn-registered-nurse
    http://www.nursingprograms.com/RN-to-BSN
    http://www.nursingprograms.com/bsn-b...nce-in-nursing

Good luck with your choice.

Adn Vs. Bsn

Sara,
    It was very interesting to read your essay about BSN VS. ADN. I am currently attending an ADN program and feel that I will be well prepared me for my first job. I have also chosen to supplement my education with a nurse externship at my local university hospital.
    I agree that if a nurse wants to continue to work in thier profession that they MUST continue their education. I decided to attend an ADN program first because of the reduced cost, second because of the more individualized attention, and third because of time. I feel that and ADN allows an individual to try nursing on "for size" before commiting to a prolonged education and the associated costs. I would also be interested in seeing the NCLEX pass rates for ADN students as compared to BSN students. I also question how theoretical education prepare a student for the technical aspects of nursing...how to set up a pump, how to run a line with different fluids....ect? Please dont misunderstand me, I feel that theory is of utmost importance; but all upfront?
    I agree that if a nurse decides to stay in thier profession, they should be required to continue their education. I would be in favor of ADN programs being the "starting gate", followed by a BSN within a specified time frame as dicated by thier state board of nursing for nursing staying in the field. I feel this approach would allow for technically proficient nurses who would be able to absorb BSN material which would allow for educational application in the most proficient manner.
    What do you think.....or am I just running my mouth...LOL
    Mac

Wink Re: Associates Or Bachelors Degree for RN?

yeah i have a choice to go back for my BSN in one year

or Associate RN in 10 months
    personally i have a million college credits from my pre-med studies

so its all about the cost and time constraints

I think BSN is worth it(just my two cents)

I once heard it broken down like this...

If an employer wants someone with enough skills and experience to just jump right in from day one with little coaching or preceptoring, then an ADN grad is optimal. They seem to have more hands-on clinical time. The BSN grad has more of that theory and critical thinking (so they say), but maybe less hands-on time so they'd need a longer training time. Of course, I doubt hospitals actually change their training times based on that.
    This is just what a FNP once said to me.

Personally, I always seemed to think I saw ADN students in the hospital a lot more than I seemed to be.

In the end, all potential RNs take the same NCLEX regardless of their training. So it really is about career goals, at least until they may make a BSN a requirement to get into the field.