Thread: Read Me

Read Me

Ok seriously..someone has to have some input...does anyone know of anywhere that will hire nurses in addiction recovery? I need to know. I am willing to be open and honest with any employer. I understand when I am allowed to return to work..I will have to voluntarily restrict my narcotics access etc. I am thinking I could work someplace that doesnt require me to have access.. ie cath lab, dialysis etc. I only have ICU experience..and obviously that is out of the question for a while. I dont plan on returning to work for the rest of this month (I dont think Im allowed) but I just need ideas of where to start looking...any ideas would be great..thanks.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Read Me

Quote Originally Posted by nichole5026
    Ok seriously..someone has to have some input...does anyone know of anywhere that will hire nurses in addiction recovery? I need to know. I am willing to be open and honest with any employer. I understand when I am allowed to return to work..I will have to voluntarily restrict my narcotics access etc. I am thinking I could work someplace that doesnt require me to have access.. ie cath lab, dialysis etc. I only have ICU experience..and obviously that is out of the question for a while. I dont plan on returning to work for the rest of this month (I dont think Im allowed) but I just need ideas of where to start looking...any ideas would be great..thanks.
    I don't know if you saw my reply to you yesturday but here goes. I have been in diversion almost two years and have a lot of friends in it too. In most cases when we were initially allowed to return to work it was in non-patient care first, I went to work doing admitting assessments at the hospital where I did rehab. Others got into case management - still others have gone to work in SNFs. After you work for about 6 months or so, they will usually move you up to patient care then in 3-6 months if you continue to test clean and be compliant with the program you can get ask for your Narc keys back. It's a long slow process but people hiring in non-patient care seem to be more willing to take a chance on nurses in recovery. Hang in there and just keep working at it.

hppygr8ful

Re: Read Me

Thanks very much for replying..I have read all of your replies...thank you thank you...Does anyone know of any place in detroit, dearborn..michigan or surrounding area that I could apply to specifically? Thanks again

Re: Read Me

A suggestion for Nurses who have their practice limited to non patient care: Blood banking. I worked as a blood bank nurse for 15 months until I was allowed to return to hospital/patient care nursing. While the pay sucked, the hours were great, the work was fun and my employer was supportive and encouraging of my recovery. Had that job paid more I would have gladly stayed. I am now almost 3 years sober, back in critical care with full med access and doing great. Good luck to you all and hang in there!