Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMaleNurse View Post
    Hey Soldier Nurse....."capt" now.....congratulations......I had to change my moniker also.....was NavyJim58.......I remember when my Army nurse wife was a captain......we flew on a navy plane from Hawaii to San Franciso and the navy met us with a staff car when we go there because they thought she was a navy capt......pretty sweet......the driver didn't care......how long before your up for major? take care, Jim
    NavyJim58... now I remember you. Why did you change your username? Just curious but I did the same. I sold my '01 Vette but accepted a two year PCS assignment. So, I decided on SoldierNurse for a new username here.

I believe the ANC MAJ mark is btwn 3-5 yrs after CPT. So, that would make me eligible [under the zone] MAY 2010.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Smile Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Soldier Nurse.....I was off the forum for several months and when I got back on I couldn't remember my pass word or the email address I had used so got a new one......i'm getting older and confused alot......so you won't have to go back overseas anytime soon will you? take care, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMaleNurse View Post
    ...so you won't have to go back overseas anytime soon will you? take care, Jim
    Not for at least the next two years while at combat medic instructor duty.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

hey guys my name is max. my teacher assigned a research paper, we are supposed to argue some topic, no matter what our standings are on this and my topic is "stereotypes againts male nurses" and since my uncle is a nurse i definately see no differance between men and women in the feild of nursing. however, i am suposed to have another persons quote or arguement to support my own. my due date is dec 18,if anybody has anything to quote please email me. like i said i'm on your side and am getting tired of all these d*** insults on ya'll as it insults me to im personaly thinking about going into the nursing feild myself
    please respond,
    max

1 I do not believe gender bias exists. Unless you are overly sensitive. Which I am not. It interferes with my golf. I can not have that. So my answer here is do not worry about gender bias, Go Golfing instead, ehh.

In the USA, in general, and in nursing, in particular, if a male does not loudly and publicly proclaim the following Orwellian, authoritarian, illogical, sexist, oppressive, and discriminatory mantra, a male (inclusive of male nurses and male nursing students) will be subject to discrimination not only because of his gender and possibly race but, also, because of his perceived political ideals: "Men, especially Caucasian men, are not discriminated against. Therefore, they do not need laws nor the promulgation of laws protecting them from discrimination in employment and education. Women (and minorities) are discriminated against. Therefore, laws should be promulgated that give the same preferential treatment in employment and education over Caucasian males."
    "No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which." George Orwell, the conclusion of “Animal Farm.”
    :nurse-haha:

I loved Orwell's writings.

Ricu

Hi folks,

Interesting discussion going on here. I agree that self image plays heavily in how well a man functions as a nurse but I don't think loud proclamations or legislation will further the cause. In fact, I think such activity sets us guys back. Men have gotten this far in the field not by force but by quiet, confident, positive rolemodeling.

Over the years, gender bias against male nurses has diminished but it really was a problem when I started in the field. I think this change occurred because society has discovered that traits which were once thought of as male or female really have more to do with individual nature rather than gender. Even though this mainstream thinking has changed, some of us still get stuck or remain stuck but this does seem to happen less often.

My opinion is that if a male is sensitive, intuitive, caring and nurturing, he is indeed, evolved. If he can be all that and not feel as though his masculinity is diminished or that he has to justify or defend his mannerisms, he would make an excellent nurse.

Just another viewpoint,

R

Facebook User

The only gender bias I have seen in my time is what constitutes harassment. The female staff call each other names that would get me called into the office. They touch each other where I would get into trouble if I even tried to do. My manager only tells me to report harassment if they do or say something that makes me uncomfortable. I'm sorry I can't do that. I don't say anything, if they start saying something I get up and leave and say , "this is getting to much for me to hear ." I would only advise male staff to be careful. Say sexually oriented things to only those you have a good relationship. That is they should say those things to you first and they say you can say anything to me if you want. I am just a fellow employee I am not a close friend to anyone. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are equal.

Ricu

Hey Scarecrow,

It sounds like you've been burnt before. Sometimes I hear stuff and say something like "be careful not to make me blush, now."

They usually get it.

R

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast