Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

Re: GRRR - The Gender Bias Continues

With regard to the Orwellian "New Sexual Puritanism","Sexual Harassment laws", and gender discrimination, while I was a combat soldier in the field in Vietnam, years before the aforementioned, we were very tolerant of individual personal and physical insult, using profanity very profusely (termed "Booney Talk"), getting into physical fights occasionally, laughing, screaming, lots of emotion, lot's of trust, lots of courage, lot's of individuality, and lot's of friendship! This is the antithesis of the feminine nursing environment in which all of the masculine traits present in a very masculine combat environment are clearly not tolerated by law and custom. Unfortunately, the same intolerance indicates that courage, humanity, tolerance itself, true friendship, and true equality are not tolerated in the female nursing environment in the name of Orwellian political correctness. This same Orwellian feminine environment tends to produce Orwellian pigs without a sense of self respect, courage, and respect for the rights of others. The decline of nursing as a profession has been, in part, resulted from the same. I am a male R.N. One must adopt the masculine combat culture to stand up for individual rights and the rights of the nursing profession as the same requires tolerance, courage, individuality, and respect for the rights of others (including patients).

LIFE is short, and Art long; the crisis fleeting; experience perilous, and decision difficult. The physician must not only be prepared to do what is right himself, but also to make the patient, the attendants, and externals cooperate. Hippocrates
    :nurse-soapbox:

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    The only gender bias I have seen in my time is what constitutes harassment. The female staff call each other names that would get me called into the office. They touch each other where I would get into trouble if I even tried to do. My manager only tells me to report harassment if they do or say something that makes me uncomfortable. I'm sorry I can't do that. I don't say anything, if they start saying something I get up and leave and say , "this is getting to much for me to hear ." I would only advise male staff to be careful. Say sexually oriented things to only those you have a good relationship. That is they should say those things to you first and they say you can say anything to me if you want. I am just a fellow employee I am not a close friend to anyone. Don't make the mistake of thinking you are equal.

Hippo3, sure could use somebody like you in the Army Nurse Corps. HOOAH!

I only talk about golf and grandchildren so I do not ever see any problems. I am also happily married and would never discuss anything sexual with anyone, nor am I toucher, In fact I do not like even being touched. It is an invasion of my space. one nurse I work with and like is a hugger, she as learned not to hug me anymore, she just pats me on the shoulder briefly, which satisfies her and does not bothr me that much. Give and Take.

In German the word for nurse is "Krankenpfleger", which literally means "caretaker of the sick" in english but refers to "nurse" in our language. The word "Nurse" in English may bring to mind certain terms as "breast feeding" or something feminine like that. That is simply what our language calls someone who takes care of the sick. I am male and work as a nurse in a very busy teaching hospital in Madison, Wisconsin. There are many male nurses who work on our floor. In our part of the country male nurses are looked up to and respected. In other parts of the country though, I don't think male nurses experience such regard or respect so much which is unfortunate. Don't ever be ashamed to be a male in the nursing profession! As a nurse you can really bless a lot of people's lives.

WINurse, BRAVO!!!

Ricu

Well said.

Thanks,

R

Facebook User

As a female nurse student, I have become rather lucky in getting 9 awesome fellow male students in my class with me. These guys I would trust to get the job done in any situation. 4 of them are military one a single dad another a retired firefighter! These are MEN, and I'm happy to see that so many more are choosing to go into this profession. I agree with you guys, a nurse is a nurse male or female, we do the same thing and no bias should ever be expressed.
    Now if we could get more male nursing instructors!

3 cheers for LauraP!!!

Ricu

Thanks Laura,

Over the last 3-5 years I think I've seen a big movement toward acceptance of men in the field. Interesting point about male nursing instructors. I would like to see them too, even clinical affiliate faculty members which is something I do. Very often the student feedback includes comments about working with their first male instructor and that it was a positive experience. Frankly Laura, I think the abysmal pay scale has a lot to do with the lack of nursing instructors period; male or female.

Good luck and keep in touch.

R

Quote Originally Posted by stacyL View Post
    This is a forum/thread to post one's opinions so I will. Everyone has their own opinions which vary. My opinion is that women have had to tolerate gender bias for centuries. Why should men be any different? They know that nursing has been a female profession for years.
    I see your point, female doctors, attorneys and other professionals have been fighting for equality for quite some time. Traditionally male roles have been opened and continue to be opened for women to enter into.

In the same fashion that traditionally male careers have had to change to accept women, so must Nursing change to accept men. It is in fact, inevitable that more men will be entering the nursing work force.

We have the same right to become nurses as females have to become doctors, attorneys, architects and other traditionally male roles.

You by no means need to like it, but you do have to deal with it.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast