I'm getting ready to start LPN school here in Oklahoma next Tuesday. Some of the comments I've ready on this forum, I must admit, scare me a little. It seems several PN's don't like their jobs and for very good reasons. The LTC facilities have bad patient to nurse ratios, and numerous hospitals don't seem to be hiring the PN's anymore.

I know as far as Oklahoma is concerned the hospitals still hire LPN's. But I won't be staying here. I want to relocate where I'm from, and that's back to California.

I'm a midlife career changer. I have a BA, and MA in Sociology. I tried to get into RN school initially, but my gpa in the core course was not high enough. Even though my gpa was very high over all, the school did not consider that. So I did not get into the RN school of my choice. Other schools would not transfer my credits and I would have to retake the prerequisite classes.

So, I'm going to LPN instead. I was never able to find work in my field as a Sociologist here in Oklahoma. I know I can find LPN here. But I don't know what I'll be facing in California, and I feel scared to death now. I feel as though I may to taking this LPN program for nothing.

Do any of you have jobs that you like? Are they still good jobs for PN's out there. Is there hope for new grads?

Thank you.

Debbie