Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Job Ive Ever Had!

Unhappy Worst Job Ive Ever Had!

Ok this is my second venting post about this job in 2 months but I have honestly had it! We have way to many patients and managment doesn't seem to be concerned..we've had nurses leaving and noone in to replace them. Sometimes on days we have up to 11 patients on med/surg. I want to quit so bad but Im waiting to go to a couple of interviews I have scheduled. I can't quit without having another job but I am so miserable right now I almost dont care! I have actually thought about not going back but ofcourse than I would get a terrible reference and it would also screw everyone else over so don't want to do that either!! I am try to maintain a positive attitude but its so hard! When I go in tomorrow Im thinking about giving my 2 weeks notice even though I dont want to stay another 2 weeks!! Anyone have any advice. Do you get a bad reference if you dont give 2 weeks?? Ive always given atleast a 2 weeks notice but I cant take this place anymore!!

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Worst Job Ive Ever Had!

Not giving a proper notice can result in a bad reference. What state are you in? Depending on your state's board of nursing, you can request "Safe Harbor." This is not refusing to take patients, but protects your license when you are being asked to accept an assignment you consider to be unsafe. You need to contact your State's board of nursing to see if they have such a law, but if they do, and you ask your employer for a Safe Harbor form, they are required to provide it. Then, if anything adverse happens as a result of the unsafe assignment, the liability falls onto the hospital, and your license is protected. Often times, just asking for a Safe Harbor form is enough to get administration to do something about their staffing- Hospital administrators don't want the state board in their business anymore than they have to. As an example, you can find more about Texas' Safe Harbor laws here: Request For Safe Harbor Peer Review
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Give a 2 week notice! You need to get out of there. Your license is at risk and your health. Regarding references, besides the nurse manager giving you 1 also ask a coworker you like for one.
    I quit a travel assignment because they wanted me to take 11 patients on med surg tele. I refused the assignmnet and QUIT, I knew this was very unsafe and I knew that NO ONE would back me if there was a problem.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by msrn View Post
    Ok this is my second venting post about this job in 2 months but I have honestly had it! We have way to many patients and managment doesn't seem to be concerned..we've had nurses leaving and noone in to replace them. Sometimes on days we have up to 11 patients on med/surg. I want to quit so bad but Im waiting to go to a couple of interviews I have scheduled. I can't quit without having another job but I am so miserable right now I almost dont care! I have actually thought about not going back but ofcourse than I would get a terrible reference and it would also screw everyone else over so don't want to do that either!! I am try to maintain a positive attitude but its so hard! When I go in tomorrow Im thinking about giving my 2 weeks notice even though I dont want to stay another 2 weeks!! Anyone have any advice. Do you get a bad reference if you dont give 2 weeks?? Ive always given atleast a 2 weeks notice but I cant take this place anymore!!

Not a good situation at all. I've been there before and feel your pain but if you need this reference, don't leave without that two week notice. Not that it offers that much comfort but go to work well rested, be very careful and try to look foreward to better days ahead.

Good luck,

R

So, what's going on lately? Did you give your notice? Or have things goten a bit better?

Well I still haven't given my notice Looking for other jobs, situation is still not good but Im basically stuck until I find something else so I'm trying to have a positive attitude when I go in..although thats hard at times when you're given your assignment like, "here ya go, here's your 10 patients for the day!" I had a job interview but it was cancelled because office manager said she had to work the desk at the office because someone called in and than she was going on vacation next day and would call when she got back..well she never called so I called today and she says, oh well we are still sifting through resumes and Im just not back at the point to reschedule your interview..huh??? Very unprofessional but hey wouldn't want to work in that office anyway! When she called to set up the interview with me she went on and on about my resume and all my experience and now she is acting different..think they found someone else thats exactly what I thought when she cancelled with me. Im sure there is something else out there that I will love..until than Im just going to focus on taking care of my patients the best I can and hopefully things will improve! Thanks everyone for your input. Dont mean to sound so cynical and moody but sometimes its nice to vent to those who you know will completely understand! Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

The job market is a bit tight lately: many people applying for one or two job listings. What happened at that interview was a little stinky.

Just to be curious, have you looked at any of the job listings on the site here?

Well that's good you have a plan. Can you work on another unit in this hospital just to get off this unit?
    I feel for you, 10 patients, wow!
    I hope you find a new job soon.

Smile Re: Worst Job Ive Ever Had!

I have looked at some of the job postings on here but haven't really seen anything that catches my eye Well as far as working on another unit in this hospital its only ICU, ER, or Labor and Delivery because we are the only Med Surg unit since its such a small hospital. I dont want to do ER or ICU at this time..would love L&D but there are no job openings so I feel stuck. I'm still looking everyday on the internet for jobs but in my region there arent many jobs to chose from at this time. I'm sure the right thing will come along! Thanks everyone for your input!

After reading worst job i felt compelled to share my story very briefly. I worked at a small county hospital in kenedy texas which was way beyond dysfunctional. In short the last straw that got me fired was a patient family complaint that i "knocked on the door too loud, talked too loud, turned on the light to give medication". I worked nites!!!! And in texas employers are legally allowed to treat employees as so much replaceable trash!!! have a nice day!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast