Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tell me how influenza is affecting your life

tell me how influenza is affecting your life

That is life, work and everything.

Re: tell me how influenza is affecting your life

Lots of overtime, wearing staff out, Most are working sick, go back to work to soon and get hit again,Also we have had a tremendous amount of pneumonia. Tougher season that expected, With records being broke with admits in a day, hold ever rooms for admissions and discharges during turn overs of room, and nonhouse keepers to be found in the place. God Bless us All

They put a suspected case of the flu into isolation. I have never seen that.

All the staff is sick. JudyD is correct. You go back to work and then come down sick again. I am on my second round, although I don't think I have typical flu. I've been sick a month. I'm going to go in to the doctor for some more antibx pretty soon. The staff describe the same symptoms, however. HAs, muscular aches, congestion, low-grade temps, and throat and vocal cords so sore and knotted you can hardly talk. I have to wear a mask now. But if you call in sick, they have a fit. So I'm rasping behind my mask and the docs are going, "What? I can't understand you! Are you sick?" Hah hah hah! That's why they get the big bucks!

What has my attention more is that in the last two weeks I have cared for two patients who came down with spinal cord abscesses with unknown etiology. That all started with back aches and GB-like progression from the feet up, with GB ruled out. I know that two cases don't make an epidemic, and that nurses catch everything, but my back has ached like heck since I got sick a month ago, before these cases. Very unusual. So, I just think, Oh wow, what is this?

I don't believe we have had any deaths from the flu yet. I hope not. Our hospital ran out of flu shots for the staff, but recently offered another round. I am debating whether I want to take it or not because I am already ill, and I don't really feel like they nailed the shot this year. So, I'm not sure what to do.

I took my first shot while I was still sick, It did not cause me any harm any ways... We did have one elderly pt die from the flu at my hospital.

I am not sure what is happening in the states other than the fact it seems to be quite severe there.

But the main problem in Canada is they produced all the influenza shots to combat the three main strains identified at the time of the manufacture of the Vaccines. The Fujian strain had been identified but there was not sufficient time to produce a vaccine strain from the fujian strain. So from what I understand Fujian closely resembles Panama so there is a small amount of cross protection from Fujian, but obviously not enough as we are running into the same problems in our hospitals.

On a persoanl note, I have been lucky enough to not get it as well as my 7 year old daughter. But my wife just got over the flu and my 2 year old is still fighting it. So it is taking its toll at home as well.

I work in an outpatient clinic and have seen the census go down as people are sick witht the flu when scheduled for their procedures.

I took the "flu shot" at work, and 3 days later came down with a mild strain of a flu with fever, chills, sweats, severe body aches and headache, sore throat and cough. Missed a 12 hour shift because of the fever and weakness with body aches. Felt better after 5 days and drove home to Michigan for the holidays. Day after arriving, I got the worst case of flu. Was isolated to my RV in my son's driveway because I didn't want to spread the New Mexico Flu to Michigan. Missed a Christmas party and a wedding that I was looking forward too. Had the same symptoms as the first flu except much worse. Was in bed for 5 days. Was so weak. Finally felt better and managed to visit with my brother and son before heading back to New Mexico. On the drive back, came down with a head cold. Sore throat that is still off and on 2 weeks later and a cough. Have finally decided my home remedies just aren't helping and have an appt with doc tomorrow to treat a sinus infection and my right side of my face throbs, my teeth and right ear hurt and I just don't feel up to par. So, it has been 5 weeks now of being sick, and I'm pretty sick of it!!!
    We did have on death of an elderly chronically ill woman who was in isolation for Influenza awaiting nasal cultures. Most of our staff has had colds and flu s/s. Some have worked while wearing masks. I missed a dental cleaning while home in Michigan because of the flu. So, it has affected my life big time this year.

It appears the peak flu season has passed. I realize of course that it is by no means over. I for one will be glad to see on gone. Now we seem to be seeing an increase in CVAs. Did I not read somewhere that there is an increase in CVAs and MI after a flu outbreak?

Yeah, I got the flu shot at work too. It must've worked, 'cause I got it . I was off of work for a week, during Christmas break (student here), the only time I really could work. I missed out on all of the holiday pay and everything. I was shivering so hard when I got to the doctor's office that I refused to take my coat off for the "exam". I puked twice in the office too. I was more or less bedridden for 5 days. On the 5th day of periodic fevers of 102 and continuing earaches, I called my doc and demanded antibiotics. I'm pretty sure that's not antibiotic abuse, but at that point, I'd just had it. I'd like to thank redrosegal for brining those Arizona germs up to Michigan, so we didn't feel left out (just kidding ) I know a lot of people were sick at work for about 3 weeks. I sent a few home with symptoms similar to mine. Not too many of the patients got it, and I'm a little surprised because I work in LTC. Anyoo, the flu sucks!

Something scary I heard just today about this topic is that wild birds have been found in Ontario and Quebec Canada that are carrying an H5 virus. It isn't known whether it's the deadly H5N1 strain yet but that would be pretty crazy if it was. People should be careful with information that they get about Tamiflu because if it isn't taken properly it can cause a Tamiflu-resistant virus. To know more about tamiflu see http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3353-s-tamiflu.aspx
    This contains a lot of information on tamiflu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast