Thread: Schools specifically for LPNs to bridge

Schools specifically for LPNs to bridge

Hi Everyone,

I have something that has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to reach out to others and see what they think. I have been a LPN for the past 6 years and will finally be finishing my prerequisite classes needed for the LPN to RN bridge program this summer. I have been going to school on and off since I finished the nursing program to acquire these classes. I think that it would be a great idea if someone opened a school directed at training only LPNs to become RNs. If they did like they did at my nursing school and included all the prerequisite classes into the program, they would have LPNs from all over Chicago (where I live) lined up around the corner trying to get in whether they were paying cash or not. Instead we as LPNs have to compete with traditional students who have already secured their seats in the program by starting from day 1. Now my area community college is doing something similar to this but they are making the traditional students (meaning the ones that started with no nursing experience - Not the traditional 18 yr old to 21 age range) take the LPN NCLEX and acquire their license before they are allowed to get into the second portion of the RN program. I just wish someone would cater to an experienced nurses needs educationally so that we can bypass all these ridiculous prerequisites and get into a program. Hopefully after I apply in the fall I will begin the bridge program in the Spring (Jan. 2011). What do you all think about a program geared towards LPNs only?

:nurse-soapbox:

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Schools specifically for LPNs to bridge

Strawberry, just to be curious, where are you going for your LPN to RN bridge? You're in the Chicago area, so.....I do believe I posted a link for accepted schools in IL, so maybe that list would help? You do have a good idea, though.

BTW, you know that RN's are now in license renewal, and are required to do the CEU thing. I believe LPN's start in Jan of 2011.