I thought you'd find this interesting: Grandmother's passing inspires nursing career | chillicothegazette.com | Chillicothe Gazette

As Ciera Bobb entered Paint Valley High School as a freshman, her grandmother was losing a seven-year battle with cancer.

As Bobb visited with her grandmother, Patti Brooks, in hospice care, she was touched by the nurses.

"It takes a really special person to do something like that, and I really want to be that person you develop a relationship with. ... Her hospice nurses were really special to us," Bobb said.

As junior year approached, Bobb decided to attend Pickaway-Ross Career and Technology Center to get a jump start on nursing. On Thursday, she and 262 others were honored for completing their two-year programs at the center and received their career passports.

A career passport for Clarence Cox, who died unexpectedly in February 2009, also was given to his family. Cox was a junior in the welding program.

Steve Winegardner, director of secondary education, praised students for their accomplishments. He spoke of how they all chose to be a student at the center for specialized training, a choice Bobb has been happy with.

The medical careers program provided Bobb with hands-on experiences and, for the past year, she has worked as an assistant at Hearth and Care Rehabilitation and Nursing in Greenfield.

"I'm learning a lot. ... It teaches you more than sitting in a class," Bobb said.

Bobb gave up volleyball and track for the job, but she still finds time to race four wheelers around the country with her two younger sisters.

"It's just fun. People play basketball and that's their sport. Well, racing is my sport. It relieves stress, and it's just fun," she said, adding her father raced when he was young.

Bobb plans to continue racing and, in the fall, she'll be starting college at Ohio University-Chillicothe to pursue her nursing degree.

"I'll probably stay here around home to be around my family," she said.

"Eventually, I want to do neonatal care with the babies and be in the nursery. I love babies."

Bobb isn't the only one satisfied with her choice with Pickaway-Ross.

Student of the Year Nicole Keller addressed the crowd Thursday, calling it the best choice she's made. She also gave a few words of advice and encouragement.

"Everybody can do something ... if you believe in yourself," she said, following up with a challenge: "Be the best you can be and make the differences you want to see in the world."