Thread: Trying to go back

Trying to go back

Hi all, I am 49 years old, have been a single mom for 17 years, and now am considering going back into nursing after about a 10-year absence. I have been working as a medical transcriptionist in the interim, but I really want to have a more substantial and reliable income plus benefits. Plus, I think I would like to do something more giving with the rest of my life. Problem is, how to get restarted? I would love to get into home health, but is that a possibility without recent experience? I was an old CCU nurse, but have been out of nursing more than in it. Transcription though has really kept me sharp on drugs, symptoms, treatments, terms, etc. There is no re-entry program in my area, and I can't afford to take off from work to go to one away. Any advice is truly appreciated.

Squirl

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trying to go back

see if you can get a job at your local hospital on a med/surg unit for orientation then transfer to home health. Lots of HH pts are of the med/surg type unless they are hospice....lots and lots of wound care, diabetic things, lab draws and infusion therapy. Investigate different home health agencies. Some pay by the hour which I think are better then ones that pay by the visit. By the hour you can give good pt care by the visit you have to cram more visits in to make more money.

Sounds like you could probably benefit from pickin up a job as a med/surg floor part time or per diem....just the get back in the groove of things..then once you brush up on your skills you can find a home health job.

Ricu

Hi Squirl,

I admire your willingness to come back after so long. Around 10 years ago, I had a coworker return after over 20 years. She was excellent but found the challenges very stressful. There were many changes, a lot more equipment and the patients were much sicker. She stuck it out like a trooper for about 5 years before cutting back to perdiem- she had been part time. Currently she works as a case manager and likes it much more. Be ready to ramp up the intensity and good luck.

R

I want to thank you all for responding. I just feel that it is what I am supposed to do. I have talked to several agencies, plus hospitals, and they all were very encouraging. I just don't know which way to go. I have only worked in ICU/CCU but have been ACLS, balloon-pump, etc., certified. Acute care in hospital versus home health. I do need some flexibility with my life, so maybe home health will be the way to go. Thank you all again.

Squirl