Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of questions - of course!

Wink Lots of questions - of course!

I am an RN with 26 years of nursing experience. Cardiology, Critical care, Hospice blah, blah, blah. Currently I am working in a level 2 emergency center that sees about 50 to 55 thousand clients per year. I want to start traveling around Feb 2011. I would like to get my TNCC and CEN before I travel, just for my own peace of mind. I love 12 hour night shifts.
    These are my questions:
    1)How do I find a nurse rating for travel companies. I have searched this site and if it is on here I have not found it.

2) Can you earn a consistant living doing this?

3) My 55 lb lab/hound mix is a must for a companion - are companies flexible about bringing dogs?

4) Who pays me? The hospital or the agency? And how do I keep track of my hours?

5) I want to travel Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and all I have found is Banner Health. Any opinions on them?

Thanks in advance for any bits of wisdom.
    Jen

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Welcome to the site, Jen! The Review Section is currently down, as the site got upgraded a little less then a week ago. Aaron C., our Boss, is currently working on getting the Review Section up (he is out of town right now, d/t work). I have let him know.

From what I understand, yes, you can make a living off traveling. And as for pay, the agency does that. I would check with the agency re: dog. I can totally understand in regards to the pet!

Thanks, No wonder I could not find it, I feel better about my search skills now. LOL I am spending some time researching this before I jump in. Thanks for the reply.
    Jen

The review section of hospitals and companies is down now due to this site being changed, but , it will be here soon. On that Reviews section you can check out co. and what travel nurses think of them. You have plenty of time to research before 2/11/ . Avoid AMN( AMerican Mobile and it's sister companies)
    There is a pet deposit for you dog at the apt. rental. ER is 1 of the highest travel nurses in demand. AZ has been quiet. You will need license 1st before you apply to that job. So you may want to think about that. Also, Check the companies travel job board and see what's out there. I like Rn Network, Medical Solutions and Cross Country seems to have the most jobs. Take your time and feel really comfortable with your recruiter. I will Private message you and given you my recruiters.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Oh, and if your State is one of the Compact ones..... I posted a 'stickie thread' in the states that are Compact ones. MO is the latest to join.

Unfortunately I only have a New York State license.
    Jen

Smile

Best of luck as you start out in traveling.

the travel company will give you time sheets that you fill in and supervisor signs it, fax it to co. and you get paid by the company weekly. You can make a consistent living BUT we are still pulling out of the recession and there are not as many jobs as in the past, BUT that will change. For the most part the company will reimburse you for new license BUT not if you already have that state unless it's a good co, like medical solutions. With your background, I don't see any problems getting assignments. BUT keep in mind that as a travler the staff can give you the worst assignments and sometimes you don't feel part of the staff at all. The better jobs treat you well. So, be ready for anything.

Ok coming back to this thread after talking with 2 different companies. Wow, I feel like the name of the game is "Lowball the nurse." Which I can understand they are a company and they need to turn a profit. it is one company in particular. the company I am going to stick with I think seems to be honest and not interested in Loballing me. I'll see when I get a contract. Little bit stressed out here.
    Jen

What company did you choose? the low ball is due to the ecomony, so,keep searching. How about Advantage RN.
    Where are you going?
    Read the contract carefully and add what is missing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast