Thread: dilemma

dilemma

Hi everyone
    i m new to this forum
    well i m in doubt right now
    i did my graduation in 2004 but had a child soon after n was unable to work
    so i dont have any experience
    can anyone guide as to how should i proceed from here?

Thanx

Ricu

Re: dilemma

Hi there,

You haven't given a lot of information so I have a few questions first. Have you taken your boards? If not, that's your first step. Consider taking a review course because it's been awhile. If you have taken your boards and gotten your license, have you kept it current? If not, work on that. Be patient because it might take some time. Once this is all out of the way, take some time and get your resume updated. You will have to explain the time lapse between your graduation and now so, be sure include any nursing related activity like postgraduate classes, continuing education programs and so on. If you haven't done any of this, you will have to concentrate your efforts here before you can expect to enter the nursing workforce. Along with your resume, you will need a list of references both personal and professional. Spend some time carefully putting these together making sure that the lists are separate although you could have some individuals appear on both. As a courtesy, the individuals you list should give their consent beforehand and should also know when you're applying so they are aware that they could be called. If you need some ideas for professional references, consider nursing instructors, student preceptors, nursing paraprofessionals, and so on. Finally, canvass the area healthcare facilities. You may have a preference for a certain type of work but don't limit your applications to just those places. It's better to be in the position of having several offers to choose from rather than waiting for the perfect job which may take a long time. Remember, you will have to land that first job which may or may not be your favorite. If it's the latter, stick it out for a year and then search again. By then you will have that experience that you need and which will put you in front of the grads that you will be competing with now. Good luck. You will get that position.

Been around for a while.