I thought this was a great story. I can understand the concept all too well: http://news.nurse.com/article/20100809/SC02/108090056

The Methodist Hospital in Houston’s healthcare team has expanded its compassionate care services with its No One Dies Alone program. Founded by an Oregon RN after she experienced guilt for leaving a dying man to care for her other patients, the program at Methodist is comprised of nurses and trained volunteers who sit with dying patients who have no family or friends available. Since its implementation in June 2007, NODA has been activated for 40 patients.

Originally, the criteria was specific and included that the patient must have a certain DNR status or be designated for comfort care, expected to die within 48-72 hours and must have no family or friends to provide a sustained presence.

“A patient’s family could not come from out of state to be with him,” says Katelyn Mullen, RN. “The patient’s cousin was grateful and moved by the program. It brought her a sense of comfort and peace to know he was not alone.”

The criteria has been relaxed so other patients qualify for the program. For example, one young patient who was alienated from her family had a volunteer in attendance during the last 10 days of her life. Another patient’s only relative was his 93-year-old wife who was physically unable to stay at the hospital. A schedule was worked out with her and several volunteers to provide a constant vigil until her husband’s death.

"My personal experience as a nurse with dying patients who do not have a family member at the bedside has always brought sadness to my heart," says Melva Perdido, RN. "I remember a patient who was actively dying and was alone. I called the chaplain’s office and they coordinated vigils in which a volunteer was always at the bedside. The presence of the volunteer provided relief for the nurse knowing that compassionate care was being given to the patient when she is not at the bedside."

"I took care of a young man who was extremely ill, and it was clear that he would pass during my shift," says Anne Sequitin, RN. "His family members were traveling from Mexico to say their goodbyes, but I knew that he did not have much longer. I decided to call the NODA team, which sent a representative immediately. She prayed with him and sang him hymns. Luckily, some of the patient’s friends were also able to visit with him during his last hours. After he passed, other NODA representatives offered to pick up his family from the airport. I am so grateful for such a wonderful service."

Recently Compassionate Companions, nurses who stay with family members to help them through the dying process, were made part of the program.

“No one should have to face this last of life’s journeys alone,” says Robin Collins, RN. “My work as a Compassionate Companion has helped me understand death and dying better so I can be a support system to family, friends and patients.”