Thread: Update

Update

I want to thank all of you who took the time to respond to my question about whether my son should go into nursing. Since I wrote my question, my son did decide to go into nursing and was accepted into the first tier of nursing school. (They have to reapply as juniors for upper level.) My son is happy with his decision, but unfortunately this decsion embarasses his grandparents. I appreciate the support! Your thoughtful repplies were considered when he made his decision and are of great comfort to his worried mother (who is a teacher.)

I have a great deal of admiration for your profession as I am a health junky myself who loves to learn about my students' medical conditions, but hates the sight of blood.

Vicky

Re: Update

Thanks for the update Vicky.

His grandparents are just like most people--resistant to change. Thankfully, most younger people are growing accustomed to having male nurses take care of them.

I've worked in a nursing home as a nurse and every day it's "hi doctor", "are you the doctor", "YOU'RE A NURSE???"

And they never remember from one day to the next so it's over and over.

Tell him good luck and he's always welcome here with any questions...

Congratulations to your son for his decision, in spite of his grandparents "embarrasment". To bad for them!

We need bright, dedicated PEOPLE as nurses!! My significate other was in business, in a high paying job that was no longer fullfilling to him. He went into nursing and has NOT regretted his decision. True, only about 10% of nurses are males, but the numbers are rising. Many (I'm not sure of the stats) are coming into nursing as a second career, because it can be a fullfilling, stable profession. Tell the grandparents that and they may change their minds....there are college grads out there that can't work in their professions as there are no jobs avaliable...he'll never have that problem!!

Tell him to get in touch through your site if he needs help...that's what we're here for.

Vicky my congrats to your son as well! His grandparents don't really know what a nurse is. Many people don't and think of a nurse as some semi-skilled bed pan dumper.

It's time to educate them! Tell them that your son is studying to become a Registered Nurse.. that means he's about to become all of the following:

1)A Teacher-- Nurses educate patients and their families about health care issues and concerns. Nurses are the primary patient educators in fact- not the patient's doctor. Nurses also teach each other all of the time. Nursing is about education and it's an ongoing process.

2) A scientist-- Nursing is science. Nurses do history & physical exams of their patients and do a comprehensive patient assessment of every patient they see and treat. From this assessment they develop the patient care plan. Nurses continually assess the patient and are the ones who spot changes and deterioration in patient condition and alert the attending physician to the need for medical intervention as appropriate.

To accomplish this nurses need a high degree of education in order to know the workings of the human body and spot physiological as well as psychological changes- and know what interventions need to be taken to correct problems.

3) Healthcare Provider: Nurses do highly skilled procedures that in many cases used to be done by physicians only: such as Intubation-- arterial blood gases, reading x-rays for tube placement, interpreting ABG's to make vent adjustments etc... amongst other things.. Nurses are scientists and highly educated & skilled healthcare providers. In units such as a NICU the neonatologist may not be in the unit 24/7... that means that ACLS & PALS certified NICU RNs intubate when needed, get films to check placement, orders blood gases, adjusts ventilators as needed, and runs complex codes as necessary until the arrival of the neonatologist. Nurses have tremendous responsibilities these days- way beyond bed baths & bed pans.

4) A Manager-- Regardless of whether your son is a floor nurse or a nursing unit director he will be a manager when he begins work. At the very least he will manage patient care for his patients, as well as manage and supervise ancillary staff such as LPN's and nursing assistants, as well as support staff such as lab, dietary, and x-ray to coordinate patient care needs on an ongoing basis. In time he may advance into positions of greater responsibility such as department or hospital management positions if he should so desire.

well- I could go on but I think this gives you (or him) a good starting point to give the grandfolks an updated idea of what a "Nurse" is these days & why it's a great career for a man as much as for a woman. Hope it helps!

I am in my last semester of nursing school. I will graduate on May 2, 2004. So far not a very interesting story. However, I worked in a hospital 35 years ago. At that time men were either janitors or doctors, not nurses. I have built homes, erected "high steel", driven 18-wheelers, and helped raise 4 kids. Now I am going to be a NURSE. As with most opportunities, it is easy to have "hindsight". I am glad that I finally made this decision. Your son is making an excellent choice, no matter what area of nursing he ends up in. The youngest 50 yearold grandpa/nurse you will ever meet.