Thread: fired

fired

Hospital in AK fired me. Reasons 1med errors(not counselled-have no idea what they are talking about.2not up to speed(I have been a nurse for 18 years and a traveller for 5)3. I was found asleep in a chair and did not get up for 4 hrs(I work DAYSHIFT and unless someone hypnotiozed me, I have no memory of this incident). Does this smell bad to anyone.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Hmmmmm. First off, how long had you been at this place? 'Not up to speed'? And if you'd been asleep in a chair for 4 hours, didn't anyone 'try to wake' you?

I smell a pile of downwind here.

Sounds like a toxic environment. What did your company have to say about all of this?

Ricu
    This is an unharmonious relationship for sure complete with with a poorly organized termination process. Several allusions toward poor performance without counseling are listed here with one clear, valid infraction: Being found sleeping (in a chair), unless there is a provision in your job description ie; on call status, is always grounds for termination. No meeting with HR? Insist on one.

More to the point, it was reported that you were sleeping for four hours in the middle of the day and you have no recollection of it? This has never happened to you before? Working from the premise that you are not using drugs and/or alcohol, it sounds like you have a medical condition that needs prompt attention. Look into that and maybe your job can be saved as well.

Keep us posted and, good luck.

R
    Last edited by Ricu; 09-28-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo

Yep, sounds a bit strange to me . . .

If I remember right, Ohio is a "right to work" state, meaning an employer can fire you for your hair color if they wish and you have no recourse.

Might be prudent just to move on unless you work in a unionized hospital and can fight it that way.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com