Thread: Re: 'Nursing Home Workers'

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: 'Nursing Home Workers'

Please, read this story, and let me know what your opinion: http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...62/#post132310

Don't surprise me none at all. Not ONE bit at all.

Hey, 'Bird, could you clarify your statement? You got my Cat's curiosity going here.

Well, you have something like this happen: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ar_police.html

A nursing home turned into a bloody crime scene on Friday after an 81-year-old allegedly killed his 94-year-old roommate.

William Leo McDougall is accused of brutally striking Manh Ban Nguyen several times over the head with a clothes bar taken from a closet at the Palm Terrace Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center in Laguana Hills, Calif., police said.

Nguyen was rushed to Saddleback Memorial Medical Center, but later died.

"What prompted the attack is still under investigation," Sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino told KTLA.

I've worked quite a few places thanks to agency work, and there are some vicious residents out there: Alzheimer residents who swing out at you, despite calm approach--a daughter refused to believe this until her dad clocked her one day. Others who throw things 'just because' it'll get them sent to the psych hospital, where they can get their nicotine fix...... I won't elaborate anymore.

_

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    This doesn't surprise me either. I think any type of work where and employee is repeatedly physically attacked or threatened with attack can lead to chronic pain syndrome. I worked in acute Psych for five years where I was physically attacked several times including a skull fracture which ultimately led to my leaving that position. I think the stress alone causes physical pain. I was in physical pain in the specified areas (Low back, shoulders and neck for over a year after leaving that position.) Because of my addiction history I never took anything other than Motrin or Tylenol even though my doctor suggested it to me.

Once I got clear of that stress level and had some down time I started to get better.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I'd believe the stories, too. I figure if we hear enough 'horror stories from the trenches', post them, and they get read, maybe families would NOT be hesitant about Vitamins A&H.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Don't much care for long term use of ativan or haldol - let's go straight to Seroquel and Respiradone.

Hppy

However, cost can be, and often is, a factor.