Thread: Lifting Moral

Lifting Moral

What do you do to help lift moral where you are. So many of us have left due to poor staffing and management having to get on the floor too often and our duties are not done.

What is the answer?

ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I was wondering why I hadn't seen you, Grandma!

So, morale is down? Hmmmm. When your staff leaves, do they give a reason? Does the same reason come up with any regularity? Or is it a combination of things? If a combo., what seems to be the ranking of the reasons (worst to least)?

Ricu
    On our weekends, we do covered dish meals and everyone brings stuff- all shifts. Sometimes we do Secret Santa. This year we've talked about adopting a needy family.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    After waking up a little more, I did a search. Here's an article you might enjoy.

http://ezinearticles.com/?5-Ways-To-...rale&id=480528

Increased turnovers, costly decreases in productivity and overall employee dissatisfaction are all ramifications of low morale in the workplace. Moral is a vital component of any organization or business for it to thrive and achieve success.
    Here are five ways to improve workplace morale easily and inexpensively that will boost your team's performance and lower levels of tension and stress.

Install a Humor Board

Most every office has several memo boards for important work-related information, some pleasant, some not so pleasant. Install a memo board in a neutral location that is specifically for people to post jokes, cartoons, funny pictures or amusing anecdotes. This way everyone can get a little laugh after arriving for work on a dreary Monday morning.

Adopt Flextime Schedules

If possible, work out a way for employees to have more flexibility in their schedules. You may be surprised at the amount of stress that can be alleviated by this one thing. With daycares and households with two working parents, and possibly only one vehicle, this small move can be monumental to some people. Work out a schedule or system for employees to leave an hour early or come in an hour late on certain days. Alternate days and times so that everyone gets an opportunity to benefit if needed.

Get Away From It All

Hold meetings and conferences at a location away from the office if at all possible. A restaurant or local park would be a welcome alternative to a stuffy boardroom on a clear, spring day. People may be more alert and more receptive to the specifics of the meeting in another less stifling environment.

Share the Wealth

Offer employees incentives to "coach" their co-workers on their lunch or break times. Incentives could come in the form of paid time off, gift certificates to stores or restaurants, movie tickets or even small, simple mementos to show appreciation. This is a morale booster in a few ways; firstly, new or confused employees can glean valuable information from their more experienced colleagues and secondly, it may make the "coach" feel better about their job, themselves and their performance.

Offer Contests and Awards

Special days such as "Ugliest Outfit Day" or "Best Disguise Day" or "Funniest Story Day" can be a way to lighten the mood for a bit and encourage communication between employees. Offer "awards" which can be simple prizes and certificates given to the winners to display.

Boosting employee morale doesn't have to be expensive or involved. Even contagious cheerfulness on a regular basis can mean the difference between a dour workplace and a welcoming, productive one. Ask the employees for their ideas and listen to their thoughts. Work out a viable plan that will motivate them and make them more productive and happier at the same time.

Written for National Web Design Website information services on behalf of Kaleidoscope Corporate Activity Days.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Gabriel_J._Adams

Of course, Administration may have to ok some things......

I have worked in LTC for 12 or so years. You would be amazed at just how far a small gesture will go. For several years, I was the charge nurse on a busy 63 bed assignment, 3-11 shift. Every Friday payday, I would buy pizza for my crew. Just because I could. And always told my staff how much I appreciated all they do. And got out on the floor and helped them as often as I could. People from the other side of the bldg would sign up for extra shifts on my floor. Was I special? No. I was honestly appreciative of my staff, and told them so often. I went to bat for them. LTC is not for the faint of heart. It's understaffed and underpaid. But immensely rewarding. And I love what I do. Staff can tell if you love or hate your job, and they will mimic your behavior. Above all, be honest with your staff, and do what you say. If you acknowledge that they are short staffed and tell them to come get you if they need help, then you get up and go when they ask. PERIOD. NOTHING discourages staff and lowers morale more than a charge nurse that never leaves the desk. I have learned, too that if they see you on the floor helping, they will feel encouraged and actually be more productive. Productive staff is happy staff!