Thread: New Grad Blues...

Question New Grad Blues...

Hi! I am new to this site. Hoping to get some feedback. I am relatively new to nursing. I have been working on a telemetry unit for 4 1/2 months, my 1st hospital job. I make a lot of mistakes and it is really frustrating to me. I wonder if other people make mistakes like I do and they aren't talking about it. I feel like the mistakes I make are kind of a big deal. I love nursing and I know I am really great with patient care and my heart is in the right place but I feel like a moron half the time. Yesterday I felt really good like I was actually competent and starting to get the hang of things...then change of shift came. I was giving report and mentioned how I didn't give a medication that was a new order because I was thinking of it as a routine med and it should start at 2100. The other nurse got really upset with me because I should have given it earlier because it was an anti-dysrythmic med and the dr ordered it because the pt had an episode of vtach. Obviously I get why it is a very big deal but for some reason when I saw the order I thought it was a BP med and it's a med that I really do know is for dysrythmias. So I have been beating myself up all day feeling like a total idiot. I really want to be a competent nurse Has anyone else had this experience?? Sorry for a long email but would really appreciate some feedback

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Welcome to the site, caligirl! I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to a more appropriate Forum.

I am sure you will get some feedback!

'Cat'

thank you!!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    Hey Caligirl,

Hang in there it does get easier - My only though is that maybe telemetry is too much for your current experience level. Established nurses do tend to eat their young so you may want to see if there is at least one friendly nurse who you might identify as a mentor - or see if your hospital has a preceptorship program that may help. Finally you might consider stepping back to a med suerg unit to gain a really solid skill and knowledge set bofore going into a specialty.

Hope this helps

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I know our ICs, and I believe our tele units have started a mentor program for the first 6-12 months for new grads. The best personal suggestion I can offer is to go in 30 minutes or so early, and review the cardex (if you still have them) or the orders sheet prior to start of your shift. Make notes. 3x5 cards, print the order sheets and highlight/write notes, whatever. Generally, mistakes are made because new people do not have an established routine, or checklist, if you will.

I'm assuming on tele you have about 3 pts, average? Staffing matrix can make things much easier or much harder. Get back to the fundamentals: Maslow- what provides/ensures basic survival for your patient. Review the record and plan accordingly.

If you are able to do your pre-shift screening for about 3 weeks, and do it successfully, it will become a habit...and you probably won't have to go in early anymore. ( ;

resources

If you are unsure about medications, LOOK IT UP!!! Get a Davis drug guide of your own or your facility should have one in the med room. That's usually a fail safe way to avoid making a mistake. Or you could ask a coworker or the MD what time it needed to be given if you were unsure. Always ask questions if you are unsure. If you don't ask, you won't know, and that's where most problems come from.