Thread: Discuss ManorCare to lay off 'several hundred'

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Discuss ManorCare to lay off 'several hundred'

I am not surprised that eventually a big player would announce big layoffs in this economy. I am certain that smaller employers have been doing layoffs for quite some time. Just adds to the difficulty of many in getting and keeping employment. Some employers also use the current economy as an excuse to lower wages. Any excuse will do when they see an opportunity to better their bottom line.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Or Maybe

Another way to look at it is that the cost of careing for people in intermediate and long term care facilities continues to rise while reimbursment rates have remained stagnant for years. NowMedicare is cutting reimbursment by 11.1 % and in California Medi-cal is cutting reimbusrment a flat 10 % across the board. so that's 21.1% decrease. The average reimbursment for a Limited Office Visit is $15.00 so it will now be just about $11.00. The company I work for anlong with other long term care providers has filed for a federal injunction against these cuts. People forget that facilities have to keep the lights on, feed, bath and medicate people, pay salaries as well as Workman's comp, health insurance etc.... Maybe some employers in this economy are not greedy but see paying less as a way to keep their staff employed.......

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

You both have valid points.

Yes, 'some' employers will cut staff, etc. for the bottom line. I have seen that happen, and you both have read some of my rants in the past. The 'bottom line' is usually read (in a few cases) as Management's pockets/profits.

Hppy, I am thinking of Home Health now. If the cuts take place, potential clients can't pay......no clients/no jobs. Hmmmmmm.

I have a headache thinking about this. Time to crawl off and hack up a fur ball.

As you know I'm in home health. I've had employers cut wages and there just is not much work out there like there used to be. When you look around at other agencies because your agency does not have you working, the other agencies either will not talk to you, or they hire you, and then don't give you any work. I am trying to get myself motivated to go into survival mode. Get out of my apartment, pay down the debts while I have an income, just trim down to the bare minimum. Can't get myself to get rid of my dog and I've become used to an apartment versus a rented room, or I would have made the move a long time ago. Just can't support myself on not getting work from home health employers. Standing in front of Home Depot with a sign is more steady. Each of my employers that cut wages and are now "picky" with their hiring, have used the reimbursement cuts as their excuses. I say, excuse, because there is no evidence of cutbacks in the offices, just with the external employees.

Cali: interesting point about Home Health. A home health nurse I know from working at 'the pit' says she's constantly running to the clients she has. Yet, the agency is 'not hiring'. The agency just moved to a new location at the beginning of the year (gee, rent, anyone?!) ALL employees had to help with the move......on New Years Day!

I know, not all companies are bad, but this crap will give the bad ones more incentives. God help the good companies.