Thread: From Christian Science Monitor: Is College a scam?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

From Christian Science Monitor: Is College a scam?

Too good not to post: http://news.yahoo.com/college-scam-201856863.html
    Is a college education the biggest scam in US history?

That’s the conclusion of a YouTube video called “College Conspiracy” that’s drawn more than 2.1 million views online.

The theme has been picked up across that site, often by college students themselves, in videos with angry titles like “My Bachelor’s Degree is Worthless,” “College is a Rip-off,” and “College is an Evil Debt Trap.”

With a tough job market, students (and their parents) are making a tough calculation: What will I really learn in college? Will it cost me more in time and money than it’s worth?

One set of statistics shows that hundreds of thousands of college graduates today hold bottom-rung positions such as “waiter” or “cashier” that hardly need a degree in business administration. That’s a discouraging thought when a four-year-degree could easily cost $100,000 or more.

One argument being heard is that colleges and universities are too often in business to inflate their enrollments with students who don’t really belong there – a way to rake in money and create or keep jobs in academia.

And what about billionaire college dropouts, like Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, whose rocket-ride to fame and fortune in his early 20s was shown in the movie “The Social Network”? Entrepreneur Peter Thiel, the cofounder of PayPal, has even paid a number of talented students $100,000 apiece to drop out of college – which he sees as a waste of their time – so that they can quickly begin careers as high-tech entrepreneurs.

It’s fine to question the conventional assumption that a college education is always a ticket to a better life. Not everyone is cut out for college, and post-high school vocational training is a better choice for some.

But the United States needs more well-educated college graduates, not fewer, to compete in the world economy. The era when high school dropouts or even high school graduates could find steady, good-paying jobs is fading – and quickly.

Those blue-collar jobs aren’t coming back in a high-tech world. For every genius who skips college and makes a fortune, there are thousands who miss out on the opportunity in a college education to vastly improve their own lives and build a stronger America.

Consider this: The current unemployment rate is 9.1 percent. But the unemployment rate for college graduates (bachelor’s or higher) is 4.3 percent, a number that has actually dropped from 5 percent a year ago. Unemployment for high school grads stands at 9.6 percent, while high school dropouts must contend with a 14.6 percent jobless rate.

Certainly colleges and universities must do a better job of providing young Americans with an education that will stand up to the demands of the 21st century. They also must look at how to make education more affordable. More use of online course instruction is one way to help bring down costs and open up access.

But today’s gloomy job picture can also blot out the big-picture benefits of college. On average, college graduates earn higher wages, pay more taxes, are more likely to vote, and are more likely to enjoy their jobs. They’re even more likely to read to their kids or take them to visit a museum or library.

The case for college still can be made on strictly financial terms. But that’s only part of the picture.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar
    My dad, a humble uneducated but very successful businessman used to tell us kids that Education is the only thing you can have that can't be taken from you. It's hard to see the long term benefits of a costly education in this economy but I still believe it's worth it in the long run.

Peace and namaste

Hppy

About 20 years ago, a journeyman union electrician earned more than $42 an hour where I was living at the time. I was encouraged to go that route when I couldn't get a lowpaying nursing job to save my life. No college degree needed. I'm sorry I could not go with that. All that money I've wasted on college to earn CNA wages. And yes, repeat the courses over and over again, paying the tuition and fees over and over again, to again, try to enter RN programs, for what? Why, maybe a couple or four dollars more than what a good CNA makes, provided a job is there. Ludricous.

With all due respect it takes several years of training to become a Journeyman in any trade - often the equivilent number of years or training time to get a Rn degree. One doesn't just go down to the union hall sign the book and start making Journeyman wages. Every high paying job requires some kind of education and paying of one's dues to get ahead.

Hppy

No college degree needed. This is what my post said, nowhere did I say all you have to do is go down to the union hall and sign up, although some people had an edge over others. I applied for, and was placed on the waiting list for the apprenticeship so I am well aware of the requirements. No college degree. I would never equate the apprenticeship for electricians with going to college and wasting time and money. The gist of my post.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    With all due respect it takes several years of training to become a Journeyman in any trade - often the equivilent number of years or training time to get a Rn degree. One doesn't just go down to the union hall sign the book and start making Journeyman wages. Every high paying job requires some kind of education and paying of one's dues to get ahead.

Hppy
    Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    No college degree needed. This is what my post said, nowhere did I say all you have to do is go down to the union hall and sign up, although some people had an edge over others. I applied for, and was placed on the waiting list for the apprenticeship so I am well aware of the requirements. No college degree. I would never equate the apprenticeship for electricians with going to college and wasting time and money. The gist of my post.
    Good points the both of you. Cousin is a pipe fitter, retired (or is that tired?). No college degree needed, but got education on the job.

BTW, he's in his 80's, and guys still call him for advice, etc.

I think that there is too much of a push for college for those not interested. We do need 'blue collar' workers.....

Quote Originally Posted by cali510 View Post
    Hey Cal - didn't mean to make it look like I was talking about you directly. That's one of the things about these message boards is the tone often comes across wrong. I wish you luck in your efforts and appalud you for being willing to step into something new if the opportunity feels right. My point was that it usually takes up to around 4 years of classroom and field training to reach Journeyman level and during that time wages are typically around $15.00 an hour which is still pretty good in this economy. In most cases you do have to buy your own textbooks and tools which can run thousands of dollars.

Once you reach aboou $45.00/hr your wage is pretty much frozen for life. I know this because I have many skilled Tradesmen in my family who are currently out of work. They are also forbidden to work at non-union jobs in this downturn and will be fined or blackballed from work once jobs become available again.

I totally understand the fix many college grads are in right now. With unemployment in California riding at 12.5% with no improvement in sight - college grads are struggling to make ends meet just like the rest of us. But students have to be smart about what they study and how marketable they will be when the economy improves. I actually have three college degrees two of them useless for getting job and one Nursing that has made my current life possible. Still I would not say the time spent on study of Arts and Letters and 19 century world history were wasted. I'm pretty good at Trivia games and am currently trying to get on Jeopardy.

Peace and good luck to you

Hppy

A college education never guaranteed you a career or high wages. Any school will be happy to sit you in a classroom and award you a degree after all, it is what they get paid to do. Sadly there are so many under-employed or unemployed folks out there drowning in tuition debt and student default is at a record high rate. "Welcome to adulthood and the job market, here's your bankruptcy application..." The untold secret is that you have try to match your interests with something hot in the job market which means staying ahead of the curve and making changes as the economy shifts, and there is still no guarantee. Healthcare careers are more sure than many others at present.

Right now, I'm reconsidering going for my masters degree to work as an APRN. It's not because I don't want to do the work and it IS a career in demand. The reason is because I'm not sure that over the next 10 or so years, the increase in pay will be worth the cost. While I'm very frustrated with my current circumstances, I'm making almost as much now and I'm not sure that at my age- 49, I want to challenge the very volatile healthcare industry scraping by, with a huge tuition debt. Really, it's like playing poker.

Stay tuned.