Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot pain...need good shoes - HELP!

Foot pain...need good shoes - HELP!

I am a 2nd year ADN student & running into some serious foot pain in clinicals. My heels hurt like h*ll, and no amount of posturing makes them feel better unless I sit down. I have no idea how I would work 3 12's with this kind of relentless pain. I am not heavy (5'1" and about 105 lbs), so it's not like my feet have a lot of weight to bear. I do have small feet though, about size 5 1/2. I also have some lower back/hip problems.

Right now I have Nike walking shoes, and I guess they aren't cutting it. I have Dansko clogs (not for nursing) that are comfy to slip on, and I've heard nurses rave about them. However, I've found that the hard bed feels rather brutal after a long time standing.

Can someone recommend better shoes that will help me work with less pain? Do support hose help? Price is not an object here - I just want to invest in one good pair of shoes that will keep my feet healthy. Thanks!

Re: Foot pain...need good shoes - HELP!

Go get checked out, it could be sciatica, or even something else. A fellow nurse friend of mine just had foot surgergy, and her othopedic surgeon recommended Dansko shoes for her. He said they were the best so if they aren't helping ....get checked out.

I went to a local running store (not a chain!! like footlocker, etc.) They will take a look at your feet and your shoes to see how you are wearing them. They are the professionals. I am a runner and have different shoes for running than working- but they know what they are talking about.

Check out this article on the Perfect Nursing Shoe -- it should help you out

Fitness, Health and Wellness for the Nurse: The Perfect Nursing Shoe

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Foot pain is the worst - Nobody really knows what it fels like until you have real foot pain. I deveoped plantar fasciaitis a few years ago and short of surgery which is 50/50 success at best and pain meds I really thought I was going to havve to quit nursing!

I experimented with alot of shoes and insoles etc finally got a pair of scechers "sonic booms" bcause I though they were cute. turned out to be pretty comfy. I also have a PLantar stretch brace which I wear when I put my feet up that helps a lot - Last but not least I'm using an NSAID called voltaren that really takes the inflamation down.

hope this helps

hppy

Member Extraordinaire

I wore walkingrunning shoes forever then somebody at work had some clogs (I wear clogs all the time) her clogs were comfortable to try on so I bought some...well they ended up being the death of my feet. What finally made my feet better was being sick and off work for 3 months (so being off my feet for 3 months) then I got fitted for shoes and a shoe store...not a chain shoe store but the old fashion store where they fit you not just measure you get the right length, width and instep length. I've been wearing those fitted shoes (they are nubalance tennis shoes) and no more problems. They are still tired after long busy days but not the pain

I use Nike air cross trainers. Great heel and arch support. Good Luck.

I had reconstructive surgery on one of my feet. THE ONLY pair of shoes that I can wear that help and i tell you after alomst 2 years in the same pair.. are the best EVER are the Nike SHOX, they are a bit pricey but i would pay twice as much because I don't come home in pain anymore

I wear inserts in my shoes called "Barefoot Science" -- I ordered them on TV, they may have a website......they have progressive insertable cushions in them. They are fantastic!!! I should sell them!

good luck. our feet our precious! My nursing floor is so large that we routinely walk 7 to 10 miles a shift (proven by pedometers!!)

I've been a nurse for 11 years and I recommend Saucony tennis shoes. I have had plantar fasciitis in the past as well and I thought that I was going to die. That kind of sounds like what you may be experiencing with the heel pain. I tried many different shoes, including the Z-Coils that are almost $200 a pair and multiple pairs Nike Shox, and Eccos, etc. I found that the Sauconys with their wide base and a pair of the Dr. Scholls inserts specifically for plantar fasciitis worked best of all. One study I read said that comparing people who did surgery, those that did intense physical therapy and prescription made inserts and those that just took NSAIDs and bought over the counter inserts; they all got over it about the same time equally. So I went for the cheapest and least invasive option. But if it gets better, don't wear a pair of cute flip-flops shopping, because just once will bring it right back on and it'll take another two months to get rid of it. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast