Thread: "Guaranteed" hours on travel assignment? Need advice

Angry "Guaranteed" hours on travel assignment? Need advice

Hi I'm new here, but hope someone can help. I signed up with a travel company recently and got offered a job 3 weeks ago. I was a traveler in the past and worked for AMH and swore I would never work for them again. Well, I found out this company is affiliated with AMH. Went over my contract and according to their "Guaranteed" hours policy, if THE HOSPITAL SENDS ME HOME EARLY OR CANCELS A SHIFT, I have to pay the company $10.50/hr for each hour I miss up to 24 hours. After 24 hours during the course of the contract I get cancelled again, then I won't have to pay the company money. I've never heard of such an insane policy in my life. USUALLY, guaranteed hours means that if THE HOSPITAL CANCELS YOU and you work a 40 hour week, but miss an 8 hour shift, you will still get paid. Also, I can see IF I call in sick, then I would be penalized, but if I'm at THE FACILITY, READY, WILLING AND ABLE TO WORK AND THE FACILITY SENDS ME HOME, why should I HAVE TO PAY THE COMPANY $10.50 per hour plus LOSE THE HOURLY PAY I would have received. In essence, I would be paying the company to work. Is this even legal?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    Sounds bogus to me.....

I had a contract like this once. I had to pay the agency if I didn't work my full 36 hours, no matter the reason. I don't know how common these contracts are, but they are legal, if you sign them. It's my opinion that if an agency puts a clause like this in a contract it's because they are used to getting call-offs but still want to make money from SOMEWHERE. I'm sorry you are going through this. It was an awful time for me, too. If you can get another job, do it. If you can't, then never sign another contract like that again. The agency does not have your interests at heart.

Did you sign the contract? If so, hope for the best.

offset pay

Quote Originally Posted by Schatzi NY View Post
    Hi I'm new here, but hope someone can help. I signed up with a travel company recently and got offered a job 3 weeks ago. I was a traveler in the past and worked for AMH and swore I would never work for them again. Well, I found out this company is affiliated with AMH. Went over my contract and according to their "Guaranteed" hours policy, if THE HOSPITAL SENDS ME HOME EARLY OR CANCELS A SHIFT, I have to pay the company $10.50/hr for each hour I miss up to 24 hours. After 24 hours during the course of the contract I get cancelled again, then I won't have to pay the company money. I've never heard of such an insane policy in my life. USUALLY, guaranteed hours means that if THE HOSPITAL CANCELS YOU and you work a 40 hour week, but miss an 8 hour shift, you will still get paid. Also, I can see IF I call in sick, then I would be penalized, but if I'm at THE FACILITY, READY, WILLING AND ABLE TO WORK AND THE FACILITY SENDS ME HOME, why should I HAVE TO PAY THE COMPANY $10.50 per hour plus LOSE THE HOURLY PAY I would have received. In essence, I would be paying the company to work. Is this even legal?
    I think that the $10.50 is an offset from the regular pay. Example, you get paid $32/hr, they would take $10.50 out and then your rate of pay for those hours would be $21.50. If I am wrong, then definitely the agency would be persona non grata to me and I apologize for your experience (I am a travel nurse).
    I actually am in the same type of situation - the company I applied through says they won't pay me for the first 24 hrs of low census off time, then pay at the regular rate thereafter. It is a 13 week contract. Granted the potential loss of pay is only a little over 5% over a 13 week period but 5% is substantial to me. Personally I don't like this as I was never told this upfront and believe it is an underhanded way of dealing with a traveler. Fortunately I have not signed the contract yet and not sure if I will at this point. Awaiting the response from the agency at this point. Part of the reason I am being bullheaded is that we (travel RN's) are being treated not as well as regular employees. We don't have the luxury of comp time or vacation time if called off. It does anger me a bit.

AMH or AMN and its affiliates "guaranteed" hours only benefit their company. AMN takes advantage of travelers and something should be done to make everyone aware of their unfair practices. I am currently on an assignment with AMN and every week there seems to be a payroll issue, but always to AMN's benefit. I would welcome the chance to talk to other travelers that have had similar experiences with AMN.