Hello, male nurses... Here's my boring story.

I am 5 years out of grad school as a PA, I know everyone thinks PA/NP is great, but for me being a PA has not been pleasant. I am idealistic and to make a long story short very cut and dry. In a small pool of doctors and mid-levels I am technically good but not good at sucking up to the right people. It can take up to 6 months to find a new job in another ER and the hassle of being in the middle of patients, nurses, doctors and the administration just isn't worth what PA's get paid. I also don't like being pressured to sign off on ridiculous work-ups everywhere that I work but get punished/not renewed if I don't agree with the doctors and refuse to CT scan everyone head to toe that comes in the door.

I am good clinically but not at all emotional. I find that I generally get along with the few male nurses/techs... hell, even the security guards, but I am not in any way attuned to women and that has hurt me in popularity with nursing where I have worked also, about 1/3 of female nurses "get" me and the rest think I am insensitive or mean because I don't have time to chat with them every 5 minutes.

I don't need to make as much, would like the freedom to work almost anywhere and not have to wait 5 months for paperwork designed for doctors (which is what PA's have to do at all hospitals) and think I still could be useful.

Is there any chance I could make it through RN school and all the female-dominated stuff? If so I want to do prisons or VA when I get out, where a male RN might come in handy...

Thoughts anyone?