Thread: Florida's Safe Staffing for Quality Care Act

Florida\'s Safe Staffing for Quality Care Act

Attention Florida RN's: Most of you by now should have received a mailing from the Nurse Alliance of Florida, Inc. which is a grassroots organization of bedside nurses.

The Nurse Alliance of Florida is working hard to generate support for legislation to ensure safe RNs-to-patient ratios in Florida hospitals. As a result, legislators will re-introduce the Safe Staffing for Quality Care Act when the legislature opens on March 2nd in Tallahassee. The legislation would require hospitals to meet minimum nurse-to-patient ratios, ban mandatory overtime and protect nurses who speak out about unsafe working conditions.

Recent studies have confirmed what nurses have always known - that patient's risk of dying increases when nurses are forced to care for too many patients. Now nurses across Florida are working together to solve this problem, which not only endangers patients but also causes many nurses to leave hospitals.

Return the petition you received in the mail signed. We need everyone's support. Contact the organization at www.nursealliancefl.org. If at all possible, plan to attend Nurse Lobby Day in Tallahassee on March 11th. Together we can make a difference. This will benefit not only nurses, but our patients as well. The ratios will insure our patients, as well as our loved ones when they too need hospitalization, and the insurance companies by shortening hospital stays. When this type of mandates have been introduced elsewhere, many nurses have returned to hospital work which has resulted in the resolution of the nursing shortage.

PLEASE SPEAK UP AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR THIS VERY INPORTANT ISSUE.

Re: Florida\'s Safe Staffing for Quality Care Act

I am happy to see that a number of you have read my post about Florida's Safe Staffing for Quality Care Act. I am sorry that no one has replied, but maybe you signed and returned the petition card that you got in the mail instead.
    I am in Jacksonville, and I plan to drive to Tallahassee on March 11th when the nurses march on the capital. If anyone is interested in sharing a ride, please sent me a message.

Member Extraordinaire

sounds good and I hope it passes I want to come to FLA starting summer 2005 should make it easier to find a good job too.

Anonymous

Take a look at Cali..They implemented "safe staffing" this year also.. And they have found more ways than Carter has little liver pills to get around them.

Not trying to be negative just realistic.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

Gayla,
    Although I'm no longer in FLA, thanks for supporting legislation...it's important that we, as nurses do what we can.
    I do realize the CAL law has it's flaws, but @ least they try.
    Also remember that we're protected by the board of nursing for claiming "safe harbor" this is an important rule when you're in an unsafe situation.