Hi there,

I am new to this forum, and new to the nursing field in general.

Currently I am a software developer for a large corporate and investment bank, with a relatively high salary (6 figures) and a lower levle executive position. I can effectively work with practically ever programming language in use today. However I am wanting something more in my life, I would like my career to have a more tangible impact on people's lives, something more important than economics. I recently realized that nurses are supposedly in high demand. This seems like a field that can be challenge, high paced, exciting, and filled with lots of personal rewards... I truly want to come home even if I am exhausted feeling like I helped someone with their life that day. And the money to me is not the main factor when looking for a career.

I have excellent leadership, problem solving, mathematics, science, and engineering skills. Also I am very good under pressure... at least with the activities I have had to be good with under pressure at this point in my life. And I am relatively good with people though I am considered shy. I'm very service oriiented, hard working and dedicated.

I have little to no medical knowledge or experience however, and I spent most of my time in college being bored, I never finished my degree, leaving college during my senior year in an Electrical Engineering program, so the prospect of continued education is daunting. And I know little currently about nursing, it just looks like in the long run this could be a viable option for a career change.

How intense are the educational requirements for nursing? Is there some place or something I can do to find out more of what it is like before visiting a local university? Any good information on the internet of what the day in the life of a nurse who is male is like. I realize there might still be some old attitudes directed at male nurses... how prevalent is this? However, I really don't care what people think about me, as long as they take my work seriously.

Also just out of curiosity, does my technical background bring anything to the table? I am guessing not, but it never hurts to ask.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.