I moved 8 months ago and was an EMT-I in an ER. The EMT did not transfer states and with the different protocols I don't think it would be a path I want to go back into.

I took my CNA and have been working in LTC for 6 months.

I work night shift on an “end of life” wing; all most hospice. We have 25 beds 3 CNA's, 1 LPN, and 1 RN. Can you say over staffed?

Every day the other CNA's need help. Most of the time it is lifting someone, or they have someone that wants to talk, but “they don't have time”. They know that it put's me into a spot that I have to help, but at the same time why do I need to hold another CNA's hand.

We are “no lift” and if you do have to lift a RN must witness the lift. Every night at least 5 times I get asked to help move someone. I don't understand if it's the slings that are to heavy or is it something to do with “up” is lift and “down” is lower.

Last night one of the other CNA's told a resident that I would discuss the bible with him. I will discuss anything, but I refuse to discuss religion with anyone. I don't even talk about the bible with my residents, but I will sit there, listen, and will read them a few verses if they want.
When she asked for help I had one of my residents in the tub soaking and I was sitting with him talking about the theory of electrical generation. When she told me he wanted to talk about the bible I about slapped the ___ out of her. After spending 20 minutes with the resident I find the CNA standing out side smoking than went right to the break room.

There is one CNA that gets freaked out every time one of her residents die and is about useless the rest of the shift. I don't get why she's working on a wing that is all most hospice.

I have talked to my RN's about this a few times, but they just tell me to bit my lip and help when asked.
I did talk to my unit manager about this once and she said she would talk to them.
Is this normal and something I just need to live with?