Thread: Nursing Student In Need Of Help!

Nursing Student In Need Of Help!

I am graduating in December and I am starting to look at what jobs are available. I have a 3.6 GPA and have 36 hours towards my bachelors, which I plan on finishing while working. Ultimately I am looking to be a anesthetist so I want to go straight to ICU from school. I live in Houston and would consider relocating in if it made since to do so but given the large medical center here I am hoping to find something. What salary should I expect along with benefits etc. I have an offer in Phoenix, AZ for 23.00 an hour + benefits. A little help from the established nurses would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Nursing Student In Need Of Help!

Congratulations on your approaching graduation.

I think your first job needs to be about more than money. Think about the CULTURE of the place where you want to work -- is it friendly and welcoming to new grads? Will you be mentored through your orientation? Is it such a big place that you'll get lost in the busy-ness of the work-day? Will you enjoy the population you get to work with?

Have you looked at any of the MAGNET hospitals in the SouthWest?

If you liked pediatrics were inclined to move to the Mid-west, I would advise you to check out our hospital -- we are small, but this summer we took on over 30 new grads and as far as I can tell, they are all glad they came to us!

Take your time -- make sure you ask questions -- don't let the interviewer run the show. Make a list of things YOU want in your first postion, and see who meets YOUR criteria for a great job!

--p

Re: Nursing Student In Need Of Help!

Agree once more with stilllearning's great points. Which hospital are you considering in Phoenix and is it Phoenix itself or one of the valley hospitals? You should also take cost of living into consideration because $23 an hour may go a bit farther in the south or some places in the midwest but it doiesn't go very far in the greater Phoenix area where the typical house costs more than $300,000. I just moved from Surprise (Northwest Valley) 9 months ago. I love it there but just think about costs some too.

You may want to see what nursing jobs are available here through the thousands listed and contact employers in areas that interest you to see waht they have to offer so you have a wider selection around the country for comparison.