Thread: arizona travel

Cool arizona travel

RN considering arizona travel this fall. Any insite from anyone would be great. Good hospitals, ones to stay away from etc. Also insight:cool: on travel companies for this assingment would be great.

you will need a car and might want to consider driving out there. most travel companies will give you a lower hourly rate cuz they have to recoup for the car. phoenix hospitals are great. jcl john c lincoln is good and maintain a 4:1 patient ratio. county hospital is in the barrio. and you have to dodge bullets to get to your job. the hospitals are so short there that you might want to consider a per diem postion in addition to your travel assignment. most pay high 40's an hour. when i was in phoenix the nursing registries were paying nurses as much as 80 an hour to work in hospitals. the city is growing so fast that there are not enough nurses to accommodate the new hospitals opening and the severe shortage that the fast growing city already has. cnas can pick up registry work anywhere. good luck and if you need additional info email me at maggiedanurse@yahoo.com

Re: arizona travel

I just took a position at Banner Desert Hospital in Mesa, AZ (right outside Phoenix). Haven't started work yet, but I'll keep you posted on the facility and the area. Good luck!

Unhappy Re: arizona travel

Don't go to Banner Good Samaritin Medical Center in Phoenix. I've been to 7 states et 14 hospitals and it is the worst!! They told me that as a traveler I would have to float occasionally- well I've only worked on my assigned unit about 6 shift out of the two months that I've been there. They told me that my nurse to pt ratio was 1:3, yeah right, I would love that. The staff members will flat out say "you are a traveler, you get the heavier patients- that's the way it works here". I thought that I could go anywhere for 13 weeks- but I want to change careers after working here.

I just finished traveling for 2 1/2 years in Phoenix. I traveled first @ The Heart Hospital on Thomas Rd. & had the worst experience with them considering they cancelled my contract 1 month into my contract. I opted to do "registry" work through the holidays & they ended up using me as registry vs. had I just stayed on traveling.

The Heart Hospital gives you very heavy assignments: open-hearts can be 2:1 & balloon pumps are not 1:1 either; very short staffed; hard to find help because everyone is so busy. I would recommend travelers take night positions there to start with.

Chandler Regional Hospital in Chandler, AZ (ICU); has new CVICU with new directors, small hospital; out of the city.

Good Sam (11C/D--medical ICU); didn't have to float a lot as a traveler, but they are the first to go no matter what (do usually float to other ICUs which they have A LOT of, but also float to tele & that is a nightmare); very large hospital, not the best neighborhood with short walk outside to parking; don't treat travelers as well as staff.

John C. Lincoln--North Mountain (CVICU). I worked here the longest--over 1 1/2 years because they treated me like one of their own; very friendly & treat you like staff. Only floated once to ICU, but floating is in rotation with all the staff & rarely happens; doctors are really friendly & you call most by their first names; good open heart program; not best neighborhood either, but parking is very close. Definitely uphold their magnet status!!!

If you have any questions on phoenix traveling feel free to contact me: pierrisk@yahoo.com

The one thing I would really recommend is stay away from St. Luke's Hospital in Tempe/Phoenix area--nice staff, but bad area & scary care!

Updates on Banner Desert...

One word. Blah. Small hospital (particularly for peds, which is my area), and not always the most up-to-date care. I float. A LOT. Can't say I'm very impressed with Phoenix itself, either. Kinda boring so far. The job's not bad, just slow. No traumas. I'd give the assignment a 5 out of 10 on the fun-o-meter.

Thumbs up Re: arizona travel

I'm at Banner Baywood in Mesa, Az on Tele. It is great staff is very appreciative of the help. I'm a RN I highly recommend it

I just left St. Mary's in Tucson. New ED, good docs (though little interraction with them). Staff good - some don't like travelers and make it known, but 99% make you feel welcome. I would return there to work!

St Lukes, Phoenix.
    Its in the ghetto. Had a she man hooker ask for a ride home. ICU is approx 20 beds, very very heavy assignments. They do gastric bypasses. So besides having 6oo lb patients you have NO TECHS in unit to help. Half of staff is registry. Not fun.

AZ heart:
    Enjoyed this hospital. All heart stuff was nice to get away from the ETOH and meth heads. Small 12 bed unit with 2 techs at all times. Only negative is you have to wear whites!

Scottsdale O|sborn:
    Nice level 1 trauma center in the heart of Old town Scottsdale. Lots of younger nurses, enjoyed this place.

Banner Desert ICU, Mesa:
    Busy place. Lots of ETOH, Meth heads, GI bleeds, Sepsis, every one is on contact isolation so be prepared to get 2 pts whom u have to glove and gown before going in, they are very strict about this too. They have an on staff ICU MD at all times which was very nice.

Hope this helps