Thread: providing care outside of your job

providing care outside of your job

As a LPN if I were lets say at a festival, campgrounds ect and I were to clean and dress a wound for someone, or give an epi pen to someone who got stung by a bee and their throat was swelling how does the BON veiw things like this?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: providing care outside of your job

I wouldn't advise it, by doing this, you are putting yourself at risk for being sued. For example, if you clean and dress a wound for someone, and that would later gets infected, you can be sued.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

There is a Good Samaritan Law in most states across the US that says that if the healthcare provider provides emergency treatment to a person using reasonable, prudent guidelines for care using the resources available at the time of an accident (or emergency).

However, 3 things must occur to trigger the protections of the Good Samaritan Laws:
    1.) It must be a volunteer act;
    2.) the person receiving help must not object to being helped; and
    3.) the actions of the rescuer must be a good faith effort to help. You can still be sued for malpractice if you do not follow reasonable and prudent care and guidelines.

Some states actually have "Duty to Rescue" laws that state that if you, as a medical professional, see an accident you have a duty to rescue and if you don't stop and offer emergency assistance, you can be sued.

If you are working as a volunteer at a first aid station at a festival; the Good Samaritan laws will protect you as long as you are following appropriate guidelines. If (on the other hand) you are working for money, that is "a whole 'nother ball of wax" and the Good Sam laws don't apply.

Here is a good source if you'd like more information: Good Samaritan Statutes

Thanks for the link it enlightened me a lot.

I would check your malpractice carrier. I know some that cover this situation. Anytime I have done volunteer work providing medical care, there are forums that are filled out that provide documentation of the event and are used to protect you from legal action.
    Barry Manilow didn't write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.