Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Carry Personal Malpractice Insurance

Do You Carry Personal Malpractice Insurance

This question has come up recently, and frankly I wouldn't practice without a policy. It's very cheap peace of mind. Think my policy costs me like $94 per year.

I've never been sued, do read and write about nursing malpractice lawsuits, http://www.nursingcasestudy.com

If a lawsuit happens, the hospital's attorneys will be looking out for the hospital's interests. I know that if I've got my own insurance, they'll be looking out for my interests to make sure I don't get hung out to dry.

I've seen too many times where a nurse will testify for a hospital, do everything in his/her power to protect their employers. Then when the suit is over the hospital has turned around and sued the nurse individually to recover their losses.

When you look at the 1 million/six million dollar policies we carry, they are small change compared the hospital's "deep pockets." They'll sue you as an employee of the hospital to get money from the hospital. Suing a nurse individually wouldn't be worth anyone's time.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Re: Do You Carry Personal Malpractice Insurance

Do you carry a personal malpractice insurance policy why or why not: Yes The reason I do is because I used to work in a Drs. office without any benefits

Krista Taylor, RN, West Virginia Nurses:
    Specialty Areas: Same Day Surgery
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/taylor/

Member Extraordinaire

Yes I do and always have...this past week I was at a conference, the speaker was an expert witness and she said don't carry you're own insurance but I'm still keeping it.

I did for years. Last year was the first year that I dropped it.Then I went to a nurse law conference, they said not to carry it. It is called the deep pocket theory.

Member Extraordinaire

It is called the deep pocket theory

That's just what we were told in the conference I was at but I'm still not sure I shouldn't have it. I would hate to have to come up with something out of my pocket which is pretty much not too deep and mostly empty

The "deep pocket" theory basically says, if you a nurse has a million dollars worth of insurance, they'll come after you if they think they can get the insurance company to pay something. Vs. not having a policy where all they can hope to recover are your personal assets.

Either way, you'll need to hire an attorney to represent you.

For $94 I'd carry it just to avoid paying a lawyer $5,000 - $10,000 out of pocket to start if a lawsuit was brought against me. That's what you'd pay just to have the attorney look over your case and represent you in the depositions.

Being sued aside, my policy also covers me for good samaritan (off duty) actions, paying an attorney to represent me before the state board, etc.

It's peace of mind from lawsuits and complaints. Anytime you're sued, you need to hire a lawyer whether it is a legitimate case or not. This protects me from being harassed by frivolous lawsuits and complaints as well.

Andrew Lopez, RN

LeahNTexas

I have a Pre-Paid legal business where if I need a lawyer for any reason, including nursing, they are just a phone call away. And it's very affordable. My membership also includes ID Theft Protection! So I don't have to worry about being sued. If anybody is interested in making extra cash or need some protection, leave your name and number at

LeahLogan1995@yahoo.com

I have pretty shallow pockets We just started the pre-paid legal plan here as part of out benefits. I am not sure what all it covers. But, you know, malpractice insurance is not that expensive. It is cheaper than a retainer payment to a attorney. OK this thread just made me think of getting my malpractice insurance back.

[ QUOTE ]
    LeahNTexas said:
    I have a Pre-Paid legal business where if I need a lawyer for any reason, including nursing, they are just a phone call away. And it's very affordable. My membership also includes ID Theft Protection! So I don't have to worry about being sued. If anybody is interested in making extra cash or need some protection, leave your name and number at

LeahLogan1995@yahoo.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Leah,

#1. This forums is inappropriate for advertising business opportunties, ways to make money, etc. You're welcome to post those types of messages either in the spam forum, or nurse entrepreneur section.

#2. Keep it accurate. Prepaid legal gives unlimited phone advice. If you need them to actually represent you, you'll pay a hefty retainer and several hundred/hour fee just like any you would any to attorney. I have prepaid legal and have looked into having them represent me here in New Jersey.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

I have been a nurse for 35 yrs and have never carried malpractice insurance.
    I was told by a physician yrs ago that they can't take your house or car and that is all I have. Also they would not take the time or money to sue you if they knew you didn't have insurance. Insurance makes them more likely to come after you if they can't get it from the hospital or doctor.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast