Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Shift vs. Day Shift - Sibling Rivalry or Just Plain Mean?

Re: Night Shift vs. Day Shift - Sibling Rivalry or Just Plain Mean?

I've worked all shifts at one time or another and I have to say that there is always some bickering between shifts. Even when I wasn't a nurse yet and worked in customer service for a trucking company there were issues between shifts. I think it's just part of life. Everyone wants to think they work the hardest. In reality all shifts have their difficulties and all shifts are busy. Patients do not sleep on ANY shift. Have you ever been hospitalized? It is hard to sleep so people tend to catnap all the time. If the people coming on to relieve you are complaining about what you leave for them to do, just remind them of all the things they leave for you to do when it's your turn to come back. They can't get it all done in their shift either.
    Michelle RN-BSN, CSW
    ER - 1 year
    Peds - 8 years
    PACU - just starting

Wink Re: Night Shift vs. Day Shift - Sibling Rivalry or Just Plain Mean?

:39: I Have Worked All Three Shifts. Not In The Same Setting But, I Can Say This. The Facilities Are Different But The Nurses Are The Same. The Day Shift Wants To Come In And Start With Problems That They Themselves Have Accumulated. If They Have To Do What They Say Is "your Work" And "their Work" They Are Working Harder Than You. No Matter What Time You Leave In The Morning. What I Suggest Is That Your Shift Team Up. Assess The Strengths And Weakness Of The People You Work With On Your Shift. If You Have Problems With I.v.'s At The Last Minute. Find Out Who On Your Shift Is The Expert. Get Those I.v.'s Started Right Back Up.
    Get What They Consider "your Work" Done. And Get Out Of There On Time. Then The Pressure Will Be On Them Not To Leave Any Of Their Unfinished Business Behind For You To Clean Up. Because Remember You Do Have The Lessor Of The Two Evils.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12