Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do RN REALLY DO

Arrow What do RN REALLY DO

Hey i just wanted to get a response from all the RN out there what do u guys do, whats your role.
    honey22

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: What do RN REALLY DO

Well, I am in charge of QA and treatments. I monitor Infection Control in the Facility where i work, I monitor people who are at risk for skin break down.....implement any and all wound care, take off orders, notify certain doctors about labs. That is some of what I do.

'Cat'

Quote Originally Posted by HONEY22 View Post
    Hey i just wanted to get a response from all the RN out there what do u guys do, whats your role.
    honey22
    I like "whole wheat" myself. Ya know "role" Sorry..LOL

Ok now for the real poop. In the morning I check meters,AED,crash cart, set up some machines, call the hospital to see if any or our patients are in the hospital.

Set up for my catheter patients,check on any labs that need drawing, count meds, make the patient schedule, print up my med list. This all starts at 0530.

At 0630 we start bringing in patients. I assess patients in my pod as the tech put them on. Discuss dry weights with them and decide how much "weight" I am gonna take off them. Ask if they need scripts refilled or anything else from the doc. He/she makes rounds on Mon/Tues. I put on my catheter patients in rotations as the tech can't put on catheter patients here in NM.

After all the patients are on I check on any no shows. Maybe reschedule them. Trouble shoot pesky catheters and maybe call the cath lab to get them in for a tune up.

Reprint my patient census if we have had no shows, reprint my med list. If we did have a no show don't want to throw away that dialyzer so we'll see if an afternoon or evening patient can come in.

Draw up my meds and give them. Answer the phone and put out any fires that might be smoldering. Patients needing to change times or too sick to come in. etc.

Go to breakfast. Come back get ready to do it all over again.

During the quiet times I assess patient's dry weights and adjust them put them in the computer and print that out for the docs to sign. Check on labs and adjust Epo, zemplar, K baths, and call for Venofer orders. Monitor patients when techs go to break.

Do monthly summaries and long or short term care plans.

Some days are 12hr days some are 15..

:houra:

Member Extraordinaire

As an ER nurse I do the following:

Triage (see patients first, evaluate who needs to be seen immediately or who is stable enough to wait in the waiting rm.)

During busy times, order basic tests before the patient is seen by the Dr. (EKG, labs, x-rays...)

Procedures (IV's, caths, NG tubes, blood draws, EKG's, & more...)

Act as primary nurse for trauma patients (evaluate, perform &/or assist w/ procedures, charting, administering meds, coordinating with other allied health areas- Resp. therapists, radiology, etc...)

Administer medications, monitoring, managing IV drips...

Admitting patients or coordinating their transfer when necessary.

Charting, charting, & more charting!

There are a ton of other things I'm sure I'm forgetting, but these are the main things.

Hey guys thanks for your input and amanda thanks for yours to u seem to be very vocal on stuff, i didnt know you where a RN, Its good to see they just dont stand around and do nothing honey22

Member Extraordinaire

As L&D, postpartum, GYN nurse
    Admit/assess pregnant women determine who's in labor and who isn't
    labs, IV's, medications, assess labor progression or lack thereof.
    lots of stuff to do with fetal monitoring
    assist with epidural placements
    deliver baby if doctor doesn't make it
    circulate c-sections
    recover post op
    clean delivery rooms after 3pm
    lots of paperwork
    maintain equipment
    immediate care of newborn
    assist with breastfeeding
    teach lots of stuff
    make beds
    waitress
    answer call lights
    TCDB post ops
    charge nurse tasks (assignments of patients, unit tasks)
    committees (I'm on 5)
    teach NRP (neonatal CPR)
    comfort grieving families
    keep big baby doctors from having their heads explode
    more teaching more paperwork more classes
    not lots of just standing around on any routine basis
    oh then as a level 3 RN (highest my hospital goes)
    also have to do inservices, maintain certification, community service, precept

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by cassioo View Post
    waitress
    LOL- unfortunately, I end up doing a lot of this, too! Sometimes I feel like asking, "would you like fries with that?"

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    LOL- unfortunately, I end up doing a lot of this, too! Sometimes I feel like asking, "would you like fries with that?"
    Since I work on a "well" floor we try to get patients to do some for themselves but I love the calls "I need a new blanket the baby peed on it" you take the blanket and oh I needed a sheet too or gown too or as soon as you walk out could I have a drink too. When I answer the light I always say is there anything else she needs to bring with her? Even if I am the her that will be bringing things.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

:endof:

I swear we nurses are Jacks/Jills of all trades! I do so many other things that I couldn't list them all earlier.

'Cat'

Talking Re: What do RN REALLY DO

Oh thats good that all of u do all things, what do u have to do to be a RN WHAT Qualifications experience do u need,AND can u be a RN at any age, i am 22 could i be a RN.:luck:
    HONEY22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast