Thread: Cruise Ship Nursing

Cruise Ship Nursing

Hello everyone!
    I am interested in nursing for a cruise line and am wondering if anyone has interesting stories, experiences or tips to share? I haven't met very many people who have done this except for a few nurses in Emerg. Are there many opportunities to sight-see while working on a ship? What are the shifts like? I've heard ER experience is necessary. Has anyone flown someone out on the medivac? What's that like?? Lots of questions, but it sounds like a pretty amazing opportunity.

Thanks

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cruise Ship Nursing

I'm not a cruise ship nurse but got REALLY sick on a cruise this past fall and spent some time with the nurse then a couple of weeks in the hospital in FLA after being taken off the ship by ambulance. I was on a "nursing conference" with some co-workers. We asked the ship nurse some things and she used to be ICU she was not from the US. She said it wasn't all it was cracked up to be but it was ok. She worked shifts and took call with another nurse and there was a doctor onboard they had to call at night. The sick bay is down in the bottom where the sea was really rolling. There wasn't a helipad on the ship I was on to be taken off so I just had to be sick for 12 hours getting worse every hour.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Sonya, sounds like you'll be the person to make a difference to people who get sick like Cassioo.

'Cat'

I would be interested in learning more about this also....my guess is you don't get much time off and the pay is not great.......but the adventure could be worth it......I have spent time as a summer camp nurse in Maine.......and as a nurse for a three day rock concert in California.......again, different kinds of adventures in nursing.......so many things you can do as a nurse......:houra: