Thread: Nurses 'In Droves' Nominate Profession as Worst

Nurses \'In Droves\' Nominate Profession as Worst

Nurses 'In Droves' Nominate Profession as Worst Job, Mark E. Dixon, Advancefornurses.com:"The good news about a survey ranking nursing No. 10 among the "Worst Jobs in Science" is that it was not scientifically conducted. The bad news is that, according to Popular Science magazine, more nurses were motivated to trash their own profession than those in any other field. Among the positions considered better than nursing were public-school science teachers and nosologists (professionals who study death records to calculate mortality rates)."
    ADVANCE Newsmagazines/Merion Publications, Inc.
    2900 Horizon Dr. King of Prussia, PA 19406
    Phone number: 800-355-5627 Subscribe by phone: 800-355-1088
    webmaster@merion.com
    http://nursing.advanceweb.com/common....aspx?CC=45711

Doesn't say much for workplace nursing morale, does it?

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Re: Nurses \'In Droves\' Nominate Profession as Wors

I don't think this surprises any nurses. It's sad that the state of our profession is at this level, but it's been this way for a long time and I don't see nursing doing anything to change it.

Member Extraordinaire

I love my nursing job maybe the ones that hate it have never done anything worse. My dad was a high school science teacher...can you imagine a bunch of teenagers all day (my one is enough for me) or sitting looking at statistics all day or through a microscope. I've said before and will again my worst day nursing is still better then my best day was at a factory (for 9 years)

Cassio,

You can't say there aren't plenty of things to complain about. There are so many facilities where nurses are treated like trash, shortstaffed, illequipped, underpaid, and overworked.

Member Extraordinaire

no I can't say there aren't plenty of things to complain about but I've worked much worse jobs. But with nursing you also have that portability to go someplace else if you don't like where you are at. I have luckily enough never hated any nursing job I've had and really did like them all but I've been at the same hospital since 1992 in 3 1/2 different positions and been at other hospitals along the way PRN. Sure there is nitpicky stuff, loads of paperwork, you all know that but it's better then when I worked in a factory and was smarter then any boss there and was treated like I was stupid (pet peeve of mine being treated like I'm stupid got rid of a husband of 13 years who said to me when I graduated 1st in my nursing class...well at least I'll still make more money then you...he's still at the factory and he doesn't LOL) There are plenty of options out there for nurses and those that don't like what they are doing should maybe do something else in nursing or get out because working with those that bitch all day also makes it bad on everyone.

I find that I enjoy my job more if I avoid negative people. It is hard enough to deal with irritable or anxious patients and doctors who have the old "God Complex" without having to listen to griping in the lounge.