Nurse Stupid works 7a-7p; I am pulled to fill in 7-11; I get there about 7:45pm to hear a taped report; I get out at 8:00pm and she's gone. The tape states Pt. B has a heparin drip at 1400 units/hr; PTT's are being done Q12 (6a and 6P),the 6P was >200; she called Dr. X's exchange and he never answered. I got out of report, found the heparin still running and stopped it (with Protonix piggy-backed into the line). I called Dr. X (Dr. Y was on call and didn't give a hoot, just said "Turn off the heparin and do a PTT in the AM"); of course, I had already turned off the heparin. In the meantime I am looking at the chart and there was an order signed off by Nurse Stupid at 11:30am to STOP THE HEPARIN. I called her at home, asking why didn't she turn the heparin off for a PTT of 200 ("I didn't have an order"), and she could not remember signing off the stop order at ll:30am--she was the RN team leader--I didn't have any communication with the LVN med-giver since the RN's usually handle the heparin drips. I fixed the problem, and made an incident report (I think they all go into File 13), but I don't think anything was learned from this experience by anyone. Incidentally, someone mentioned this to Nurse Stupid the next day and she cheerfully reported she had fixed the problem--a regular Florence Nightingale that one.