Thread: Contract Yourself?

Contract Yourself?

I've really been wanting to do this, and I think I've got most of my ducks in a row? Scared to approach client. Need advice on how to do this. Why give travel companies money we work hard for? Also saves hospital dough too.
    Why can't we do this.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Contract Yourself?

I personally wouldn't contract myself because then I would have to find and arrange for my own housing, health/life/malpractice insurance, draw up my own contracts with hospitals, set up my own utilities, do my own payroll (deducting taxes,etc...). Also, because you are not getting an paycheck from the hospitals, but rather billing them for your services, there is no guarantee that they will pay you on time- I like knowing that I will be getting a reliable paycheck every week. It might work for some people, but for me, it would just be too much of a headache.

I figure, the bill reate is almost twice what I receive. Housing usually costs the company what amounts to 10.00 hour. As far as contracts, I sign one every assignment, I supply them with all the paper work required. The only thing they do for me is find the job. Unless there's something I'm missing.

Member Extraordinaire

Like I said, they find you the job, they draw up the contract, provide you with group rates on health, life, & malpractice insurance, find your housing, arrange and pay for your utilities, take care of deducing taxes from your pay, and see that you get paid every week.... they do a LOT more than just find your housing. I'm not saying it's not possible to contract yourself, just that there is a LOT more that goes into it than just finding your own housing....

I had a friend who did this and her biggest delimma was insurance. If you have a good solid travel history it would be easier to get the hospitals to go with you. They choose travel companies for the same reasons we do- dependability, pay, etc.

oh yeah, the other biggie: taxes. My friend had to make sure to put enough in savings (and not to touch it) for safekeeping for uncle sam.

One thing to consider if you are contracting yourself is self-employment taxes. I learned the hard way about 15 years ago. I did some PRN work for a small hospital and they considered my contract. I ended up paying quite a bit of money because I was considered self-employed.
    Just something to consider...