Thread: what to expect

what to expect

I'm currently finishing my gen ed classes and entering the nursing program (God Willing) in the fall. One of our requirements was to complete a Nursing Assistant class. we have clinicals for it in a few weeks and I am nervous as anything.

The instructor to this class is a bizilion years old and has recently had a hip replacement and a month later fell and broke her femur. She is on some major pain medications and let me just say that class is not what it should be. We have had almost no "hands on" practice on dummies or any lab work at all cause she is unable to stand. I'm really really worried to go into this nursing home and do clinicals because I don't feel like I've learned anything.

My question is: the regular CNA's that work there, are they willing to help us? are we just a burden on them? they aren't gonna just leave us alone are they? If you have worked with students before doing clinicals, any advice?

Thanks

Re: what to expect

Pharmgirl --
    I've read some of your posts, I like your style!

Do not look to the busy CNAs in a nursing home to be your clinical instructors! They are running their legs off just to get their assignments done on time!

DO expect your instructor to teach you something and if she is not doing so (I understand, she has her medical issues) let your dean or program director know that you believe some support is needed for your clinical instruction!

If you want some REAL help (not for your class but for yourself) I'd advise you to find a friendly NURSE at the nursing home where you're likely to be doing your clinicals. Find her SOON and volunter to shadow her (you may need her administrator's permission) for a few shifts before you start your clinical roattion there.

She will be able to do three things (if she's smart). . .
    1. Orient you to what is expected of students (trust me, they've had students there before) and how to ask your questions of the right staff members.
    2. Tell you what's going on with the residents they care for (not necessarily individuals, but as a group -- Alzheimer's? Transitional care? etc.)
    3. Find you a GREAT CNA to buddy-up with (someone you can follow, help, learn from etc.)

If you can do this, you'll have a jump-start on your classmates!
    Who knows, you may even get a job offer!

--p

Thanks still......that helps! I'm just so worried I haven't learned anything, then they turn us loose on these poor residents. Trying to have a positive attitude and make the best of the weekend. I have a few weeks before we go, so I will definately see what I can do about getting in touch with a nurse over there. Not particularly looking for a career in LTC but references are ALWAYS a good thing!!!!!

Thanks for the advice
    Stacey

Well, I had my first day of SRNA clinicals yesterday. It was a lot better than I had anticipated albeit a very long day. 650am - 9pm. Will be going back next Tuesday for the same thing and then done. I was so nervous yesterday morning I about threw up but after I got past that, the day went very quickly. My very first bed bath was a young gentleman (30ish) with MRSA so we were on contact precautions. Little nerve-racking first experience. Second experience was helping a combative resident get dressed. That was also interesting. Other than that, the aides who worked there were wonderful and very appreciative for the help, as little as it seems we were able to help.

Although some of the residents just warmed my heart immediately, I've come to the early conclusion that LTC is not for me. I give you aides ALOT of credit.....you have a very difficult job and if you are anything like the ones I worked with..KUDOS to ALL OF YOU!!!

Good for you pharmgirl!
    You'll be fine.
    There may be other mornings when you think you'll throw up befor the clinical day is done, but that is not only a school experience -- you may have those days out in practice too!

Glad you're 1/2 way through this first clincial hurdle!

--p

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Yes, LTC can be demanding....trust me! Been doing it for quite some time myself as a nurse, and I give credit to my aides.

Yes, there are some aides who 'aren't worth the powder....' out there, but I have encountered few of them.

Never say never, though, to LTC.