Thread: RV/Motorhomes

RV/Motorhomes

How many travelers out there use motorhomes/RVs? If so, what kind? Did you start out in a new or used one? Also, what kind did you get. I am looking to by an RV, maybe a small used class A but need any help I can get. Thanks!

Re: RV/Motorhomes

I've wondered the same thing!!
    I wouldn't get one until I really decide its something I'm going to do for years and years... but I'd like to hear about people's experiences w/RV living as a travel nurse!
    Man, you could pocket a LOT of money by taking the stipend and living in an RV!!!
    Just wanting to get attention to the thread!
    Thanks!
    Alicia, RN

If I can ease one life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    -Emily D.
    :rose:

Member Extraordinaire

I don't own an RV, but I know some travelers who have done this. If you take the housing stipend for your assignments, that should be enough to cover your monthly RV payments, plus "rent" at the RV park, with some left over for you to save.... You would have to tow your car so you have a way to work each day & a way to get around town, but I think it would be a great way to pocket some extra cash! Plus, when you're done traveling, you 'll have an RV, or could sell it!
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

My husband and I are both travel nurses. We travel the countryside in a 36ft 5th wheel, pulled by our Dodge Ram 3500 pick-up. We both take the stipend. We make enough money to pay the camper, truck, rv park fee, home mortgage and utilities with some left over each month. We use our hourly rate to pay other bills and have fun/save.

My wife and I have been traveling in our motor home for a little over two years. I took early retirement a few years ago but my pension is not enough to pay for both traveling and our household expenses. So, my wife decided that she would work part time to support her urge to travel. After a couple assignments she asked me to go with her. So, since I do not like the sterility of appartments we decided that an RV was the way to go. After searching around we found that we had the cash to buy a nice used motor home. No debt! I hate borrowing money and making payments for any reason. We tow a Jeep. We have been from one end of the country to the other. We tour and discover everything within a hundred miles of the RV Parks we stay in. We chase warm weather and only choose Parks with pools. Yea, you will save a lot of stipend money as long as you keep your cost down. We have met several RN Travlers that were upside down in debt with their RV payment. WE love this new life because my wife only work part time and she takes off 4 weeks between gigs. Good luck !

Travel trailers can be a great way to save money. I wouldn't run out and buy a new one though. Try criagslist.org to find a good used one for a good deal. I would also suggest a fifth wheel with at least one slide in it. Remember you will be living in it, so the more room the better. There are several companies out there that will move them from one place to the next for a resonable price. I live in one in N California and its works out good for me. I'm about 25 min from work. Lot rent with all utilities is $650 amonth, which is a good deal around here.